Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Debra,

Am I sensing the onset of yet another Ripperological leap of logic?

Regards,

Simon

I'm just asking the question.
    He is listed in the electoral registers at a tenement at 76 Farringdon Rd (it's also given as his address when he appears in an 1890 list of district medical officers) as well as Mecklenburgh Sq from the early 80s through to the 1900s so I wondered about Church St too.
    Last edited by Debra A; 10-14-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      What I'm wondering - and I don't know if it's a leap of logic - is whether Dr Gabe retained a link with the London Dispensary, just around the corner from Dorset Street, during 1888. Is it possible that he could have held a surgery there one day a week? Perhaps every Friday?
      I think it's plausible, David.

Comment

• Good evening Simon,

First of all, thanks for posting up the documents and images.

You've posed the question, why was Dr Gabe, the doctor for the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children there, possibly implying he was there for the boy, Mary Kelly's son, reported in the early news reports.

Maybe he or someone heard the same rumor about the son that found its way into the initial reports. So he came there based on that.

Or conversely, it was not a rumor. Mary Kelly had a son there. And he came specifically for that reason.

Okay, let's say she did have a son, a fact known immediately and with certainty enough to call the special doctor from the SPCC. In that case, I'm surprised none of the inquest witnesses associated with Miller's Court said anything about the victim's son. Barnett, Bowyer, McCarthy, Prater, Lewis, Ventury and Harvey. A small boy in a court would make his presence known. No one said ' we thought of the boy' his safety, his welfare. Where was the poor dear.' Or anything like that.

There is a third possibility. Hearing of the murder, Dr Gabe went there to check on the welfare of any child living in the confines of the court, the place of the 'orrible murder. A general welfare safety check.

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Good Evening Roy,

You have come up with an ingenious set of reasons for why Dr. Gabe arrived in Millers Court.

But I don't think I ever said that Kelly had a son [although if I'm wrong I have no doubt that someone will take great delight in putting me right].

Let's simply say that there may have been a child in Millers Court supposedly in the care of Kelly.

In which case, given Kelly's sudden and brutal despatch from this world, the boy attracted the attention of the SPCC.

Enter Dr. Gabe.

I'm not certain why you want him to have turned up unannounced and out of the blue.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• If this little boy was in Mary Kelly's care though, why didn't Joe Barnett mention that he was there with Mary when Joe visited her at between 7:30 and 8pm that Thursday night? Also why didn't Maria Harvey or the untraceable Lizzie Albrook mention the little chap when they spent hours with Mary that afternoon and early evening. He seems to have been a remarkably quiet and easy child to care for, not requiring any food, drink, sleep or any other attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              If this little boy was in Mary Kelly's care though, why didn't Joe Barnett mention that he was there with Mary when Joe visited her at between 7:30 and 8pm that Thursday night? Also why didn't Maria Harvey or the untraceable Lizzie Albrook mention the little chap when they spent hours with Mary that afternoon and early evening. He seems to have been a remarkably quiet and easy child to care for, not requiring any food, drink, sleep or any other attention.
              Because it was all a cover up, he was Eddy's illegitimate son and DNA proved that on the day, so he was hidden in the Tower.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hi Rosella,

You are asking questions which are impossible to answer.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

If this little boy was in Mary Kelly's care though, why didn't Joe Barnett mention that he was there with Mary when Joe visited her at between 7:30 and 8pm that Thursday night? Also why didn't Maria Harvey or the untraceable Lizzie Albrook mention the little chap when they spent hours with Mary that afternoon and early evening. He seems to have been a remarkably quiet and easy child to care for, not requiring any food, drink, sleep or any other attention.
                  Indeed, Rosella

In the case of Alice McKenzie the boy George Dicson (Dixon), who was in McKenzie`s company on her final day, certainly gets mentioned in despatches.

Comment

• If any of Mary's friends from the Court or nearby did have a child, I'm sure that Mary would have helped look after him from time to time. This is what women do for each other. But as for Mary having a child of her own, nope.

Comment

• One of the women I looked at in the past as a possible for the Maria Harvey who stayed with MJK was a destitute, unmarried washerwoman with two boys who who were b 1882 and 1884 meaning the older one would have been about 6 or 7 in Nov 1888.

Comment

• Was one of them six year old John Harvey, who was taken to the London Hospital on June 2nd 1888, after being run over by a cart in Commercial St? He, and presumably his family, were living at 2 Dorset Court, Dorset St at the time.

Comment

Was one of them six year old John Harvey, who was taken to the London Hospital on June 2nd 1888, after being run over by a cart in Commercial St? He, and presumably his family, were living at 2 Dorset Court, Dorset St at the time.
                          One of them was called John, Rosella - the other was William. I would need to check my notes to see who was the oldest. The only address I could see connected to them in 1887 was 18 ?? (possibly Station) Place. They were in Raine St workhouse after coming from the casual ward.
                          Last edited by Debra A; 10-15-2015, 04:43 AM.

Comment

• Yes, John was born 1882 and was the oldest. His brother William was born in 1884. Their mother, Maria was born 1855 and was described as a destitute washerwoman and was a Roman Catholic.
                            Last edited by Debra A; 10-15-2015, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• John appears afterwards as a young boy alone in workhouse records around 1890 but William doesn't. Maria was in the Infirmary around this time.

Comment

• Top of the morning to you Simon,

I thought I answered, with straightforward reasons, the exact question you posed - Why was a doctor from the SPCC there?

Delete the word son. A boy in Mary Kelly's care. Dr. Gabe responded to the report of a child, either a known fact or rumor. No matter, he came. Or acting as a general welfare check on any and all children who might be in Miller's Court. No unnanouced or casual reasons. Real reasons.

If however, he was not acting in his capacity of the SPCC, then maybe David's educated guess works instead. Dr. Gabe was right around the corner at the Dispensary and when he heard, he came. Because he is a doctor. Or a policeman summoned him.

As compared to the other murders, all nighttime events, this murder was discovered in broad daylight, which may be a factor in the number of doctors responding.

Roy
                                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                                X