Most dangerous location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    I thought the window was already broken? That's how MJK was getting into the room after losing her key.
    Well that was the story at the time.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

"Still, to me it is risky. Many of us in our dating lives have gone to our date's apartment, dorm room, or house with (mutually) frisky intentions and have inquired about when the roommate, etc. is due home; you can receive assurances that you won't be interrupted for the next 10 minutes err hour or so but the thought is always in the back of your mind."

10 minutes? Bragging eh?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
        I always considered Miller's Court as perhaps the safest murder venue. It appears true enough that Kelly often had callers, but at the same time, I'd expect "Not now, mate - she's kinda busy" spoken through the closed door would be accepted without any questions.
        And what if the person insisted on speaking to Mary Kelly? What if he decides to take a peak through the window when he realizes something's amiss?

Comment

I went with Dutfields Yard. I can't really see Miller Court as being dangerous in comparison to Dutfields or Hanbury. In either of the other two locations you had to deal with the possibility of multiple numbers of people possibly seeing you at any moment. Miller Court it would take a very specific set of circumstances in an extremely unlikely hour for it to be a risk and even then only 1 person would have spotted you.

The tiebreaker for me was the numerous accounts of someone being seen and slurs heard and the extent of the injuries to Stride. They all point to someone who felt the risk was too great too do any more.

Comment

Hi.
            I would suggest all of them apart from Nicholls, in fact all of the others,. were so risky, that it seems a lookout would have been essential.
            Unless the killer was a complete maniac, with no fear, and if that was the case he would surely have been apprehended .
            Regards Richard.

Comment

I find the idea of a lookout very hard to accept in these types of crimes. I just can't imagine someone saying to their friend "hey, would you mind keeping a lookout while I cut a woman's throat and remove her internal organs?" A robbery, yes, but not this.

I would also have to think that the idea of very large reward for the average resident of Whitechapel would override any sense of loyalty to their friend.

c.d.

Comment

Right c.d., the idea of a lookout really needs some benefit to both parties, typically financial, nothing of the sort is the case in these crimes.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I am not advocating there was a lookout, but the risk factor was very much in evidence, so its a possibility..Hutchinson doubters , have suggested that for years, at least with Kelly.. I do not subscribe to that.. but worth a post..
                  Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                    The door could be latched, or locked. Recall that when the murder was discovered, a window had to be broken to lift the latch.

So far as to the risk of a roommate walking through the door, inquiring about Kelly's living arrangements, and whether they're likely to be disturbed, seems to me a reasonable question of a prospective client to ask. I can't see that arousing suspicions.
                    Actually Ginger, the method of entry for the investigators was the front door...it was stated that they forced the door open. The window was already broken, weeks before. McCarthy ok'd the forcing of the door. Despite the fact that its very likely he knew of the method of accessing the latch through the window, it had been the only way to get in for weeks, if Joe and Mary had wanted the door locked when they weren't in the room.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,
                      Well to me, Millers court would make one feel enclosed in with no escape if all went wrong, at least on the street you have a better chance of escape.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                        Actually Ginger, the method of entry for the investigators was the front door...it was stated that they forced the door open. The window was already broken, weeks before. McCarthy ok'd the forcing of the door.
                        You're quite right. Mea culpa!
                        - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                          Hi,
                          Well to me, Millers court would make one feel enclosed in with no escape if all went wrong
                          What could go wrong at 3 or 4 in the morning?
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

OF course what was the more dangerous for Jack.

To kill in an enclosed space where escape am have been problematic, or out in the open where there was a risk of being seen.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                              I am not advocating there was a lookout, but the risk factor was very much in evidence, so its a possibility..Hutchinson doubters , have suggested that for years, at least with Kelly.. I do not subscribe to that.. but worth a post..
                              Richard.
                              Hi Richard.

Yes, with Hutchinson it is likely correct to a point, assuming Hutchinson was the loiterer. Though looking out for one's self is not the same as being a lookout for someone else.

Positioning himself directly across from Millers Court is consistent with him surveying the scene, as determined by Sarah Lewis, but there is no reason to suppose anyone else was involved. So not being a 'lookout' for someone else.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                                Hi.
                                I would suggest all of them apart from Nicholls, in fact all of the others,. were so risky, that it seems a lookout would have been essential.
                                Unless the killer was a complete maniac, with no fear, and if that was the case he would surely have been apprehended .
                                Regards Richard.
                                Disregarding the lookout hypothesis, it is interesting that the first C5 victim also was associated with the safest location (ironically, he probably was interrupted!). Perhaps this is just a coincidence or maybe it shows an increased willingness to take risks. Then again, perhaps Nichols wasn't the first. Can anyone compare the Bucks Row location with Tabram's murder in terms of risk?

Comment

Working...
                                X