Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on self guided Ripper walk.

Hi all
    Hope i have posted this in the right section! I've only been to the Whitechapel area once during a tour. Looking to visit next week by myself to see murder sites, sites of interest etc in my own time, to explore, take photos etc.

I will be travelling by tube.
    Has anyone got any suggestions for me, best day to visit in the week. Which tube station to start at. Is it fairly easy to walk around and visit each site? I am a 24year old gal, who will be carrying a camera around. If i go in the day will i be safe?

I found this http://www.theaa.com/walks/guts-and-...ast-end-420739 is this a good map and directions to use? Or will i be missing any areas out?

Thankyou to anyone that can help me out!
    Last edited by avvie; 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM.

Richard Jones has a detailed DIY walk on this website:

It starts at a different point than the one you linked to, and so visits the sites in a different order.

Please be aware that at least 3 of the canonical Ripper sites are currently under heavy construction. Mitre Square, Dorset Street and Bucks Row sites are as of today entirely inaccessible. You may be very disappointed but hopefully you're able to return again once access has been restored to those sites.

JM

Comment

Good luck Avvie.

When you have completed your walk would you consider posting on the boards your impressions and comments?

It would be interesting to get an unbiased, fresh view of the walk and any problems you encountered.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
        Good luck Avvie.

When you have completed your walk would you consider posting on the boards your impressions and comments?

It would be interesting to get an unbiased, fresh view of the walk and any problems you encountered.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!
        That would be great.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks all! May leave it for a while then as didn't realise 3 areas were inaccessible. Mitre Square is the main area i wanted to revisit. They were doing works on the area back in February but was still able to walk through and visit. Is it completely blocked off then? If Mitre Square was available to visit i would probably still visit.

Comment

If i can still enter Mitre Square and sit on the benches next to the murder site i will still pop over next week. Then happily post my photo's and views on here.
            I have a railcard so travel isn't too expensive for me. Would also like to look around other areas such as Artillery Lane and Goulston Street, plus visit the Ten Bells, so would still be worth the visit to me if i could at least spend a little time at Mitre Square.
            Will be looking to spend a good few hours visiting.

Comment

The bench at Mitre Square has been removed. Take a look at the Facebook group 'Jack the Ripper Photography' for recent pictures of the ongoing construction. In Mitre Square it's a major operation.

JM

Comment

Thankyou! Seems i will still be able to see a small part of Mitre Square so will be going over next week

Would you suggest i use this as a guide http://www.theaa.com/walks/guts-and-...ast-end-420739

or this one?

Or does it really matter?

Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

I'm partial to anything Richard Jones does, so I would steer you to his walking tour. Philip Hutchinson, who replied to your Facebook post, is one of Richard's guides and amongst the most knowledgable people around on this subject. Listen to him and you are in good hands.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                    I'm partial to anything Richard Jones does, so I would steer you to his walking tour. Philip Hutchinson, who replied to your Facebook post, is one of Richard's guides and amongst the most knowledgable people around on this subject. Listen to him and you are in good hands.

JM
                    Fantastic thankyou! You've been a big help looking forward to visiting and being able to contribute more on this site

Comment

Hey Avvie,

Ive never done a guided tour, always by myself.

Depends which site you want to do first. Whitechapel Station is good for Bucks Row, whereas Aldgate east is ok for Mitre Square, Henriques St, Commercial St and that area. Liverpool St for Bishopsgate nick, Dorset St.

I find Fridays are good, you get to hear St Bolotophs Church bells ringing, but Mitre Square gets packed with tours being shepeherded in and out. I suggest a week day.

The only really dodgy area is, maybe, Henriques St, and the Flower n Dean estate. I wouldnt venture there alone if I were you. However, if you are bold, act like you belong if you know what I mean. Try and go with a mate, its always better with friends.

Theres beggars outside The White Hart on Whitechapel High St, they can be in yer face.

Enjoy.

Monty

pS, Ive just come back from Yaxley......theres a coinkydink for you.
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        Hey Avvie,

Ive never done a guided tour, always by myself.

Depends which site you want to do first. Whitechapel Station is good for Bucks Row, whereas Aldgate east is ok for Mitre Square, Henriques St, Commercial St and that area. Liverpool St for Bishopsgate nick, Dorset St.

I find Fridays are good, you get to hear St Bolotophs Church bells ringing, but Mitre Square gets packed with tours being shepeherded in and out. I suggest a week day.

The only really dodgy area is, maybe, Henriques St, and the Flower n Dean estate. I wouldnt venture there alone if I were you. However, if you are bold, act like you belong if you know what I mean. Try and go with a mate, its always better with friends.

Theres beggars outside The White Hart on Whitechapel High St, they can be in yer face.

Enjoy.

Monty

pS, Ive just come back from Yaxley......theres a coinkydink for you.
                        Hi!
                        Thanks for the reply.

Mainly focusing on Mitre Square as it's a favourite spot of mine, will have a few hours so in no rush to get around.

Looking at heading there on Wednesday around lunch time, will be alone. Will maybe leave those sites you mentioned for another time when i bring someone with me. I am fine with being alone and getting lost, but would rather not run into any trouble if i can help it.

Will look at ending my visit with a drink in the 10 Bells. Perfect ending.
                        The Richard Jones tour details online sounds good to me so will probably start my visit at Whitechapel Tube Station.

How did you find Yaxley? Only been a few times, i live in a small town just outside Peterborough so don't visit Yaxley alot.

Avvie

Comment

Originally posted by avvie View Post
                          Hi!
                          Thanks for the reply.

Mainly focusing on Mitre Square as it's a favourite spot of mine, will have a few hours so in no rush to get around.

Looking at heading there on Wednesday around lunch time, will be alone. Will maybe leave those sites you mentioned for another time when i bring someone with me. I am fine with being alone and getting lost, but would rather not run into any trouble if i can help it.

Will look at ending my visit with a drink in the 10 Bells. Perfect ending.
                          The Richard Jones tour details online sounds good to me so will probably start my visit at Whitechapel Tube Station.

How did you find Yaxley? Only been a few times, i live in a small town just outside Peterborough so don't visit Yaxley alot.

Avvie
                          Hi Avvie, then its Aldgate station ( not Aldgate East as I previously stated, sorry) you need. Turn right as you exit the station, toward St Bolotophs and Mitre Square.

My daughters boyfriend lives in Yaxley, just dropped her off.

Nice area.

Cheers
                          Monty (Neil)
                          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Hi Avvie, then its Aldgate station ( not Aldgate East as I previously stated, sorry) you need. Turn right as you exit the station, toward St Bolotophs and Mitre Square.

My daughters boyfriend lives in Yaxley, just dropped her off.

Nice area.

Cheers
                            Monty (Neil)
                            Fab thankyou! Didn't realise there was so many stations in the Whitechapel area

Thanks to everyone for brilliant advice both on here and on Facebook. Really helps me plan my first proper visit!

Avvie

Comment

No worries,

Its not a bad area at all really. If you can, I suggest you walk PC Watkins beat. Retreading old footsteps gives a great perspective.

Neil
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X