Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• numbers help

Hullo folks,

I've looked into the murders a good bit, and some smaller details have proven very difficult to find. Does anyone know what population, death, and murder statistics were in London and the East End at the time, or where to find out? This would be very helpful for some new eyes on the case.

Thanks
    somerset

Hope this helps.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

This does help - thanks, Batman. Do you know how many Cockneys were around in 1888, and how many died?

Comment

'Cockneys' is a very subjective term isn't it? Traditionally it means those born within the sound of Bow bells. There were so many migrants in the East End in those days, not just those residents born in Central and Eastern Europe but people from all over Britain. The Victorians weren't as systematic in their keeping of stats as we are nowadays, either.

Peter Stubley has a book on Kindle (very cheap) 'London Murders in the Year of the Ripper' which has quite a lot of statistics. He examines every known murder in London in 1888.
        Last edited by Rosella; 03-12-2015, 09:10 PM. Reason: Add sentence.

Comment

Absolutely right, ma'am - that was a tad loose. What I'm really trying to pull are records on how many people lived in London and in the East End in 1888, how many died, and how many of these deaths were murders. Stubley's book looks to have a wealth of facts on this sort of thing, but I don't have a Kindle and could only sneak a few pages.

You wouldn't happen to have your hands on this book, would you?

Cheers
          somerset

Comment

Originally posted by somerset View Post
            Absolutely right, ma'am - that was a tad loose. What I'm really trying to pull are records on how many people lived in London and in the East End in 1888, how many died, and how many of these deaths were murders. Stubley's book looks to have a wealth of facts on this sort of thing, but I don't have a Kindle and could only sneak a few pages.

You wouldn't happen to have your hands on this book, would you?

Cheers
            somerset
            You can download a Kindle reader to your PC or tablet.

Then your device acts as a kindle.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This is from the Appendix in Studley's book.

Met Police Statistics on Murder and Manslaughter. (Population statistics were courtesy of the Registrar Generals Department.)

1887 population 5,476,477 (Met districts) Murder 13 Manslaughter 96

1888 population 5,590,576 Murder 28 Manslaughter 94

1889 population 5, 707,061. Murder. 17. Manslaughter 34

Homicide by gender, London.

1887. 30 males. 45 females

1888. 30 males. 39 females

1889. 42 males. 37 females.

The above figures come from the Report of the Commissioner of Police for the Year 1888 (which was tabled in Parliament) and the Registrar General.

However Studley notes that Judicial stats for the year ending September 1888 for the Met Police District gives a total of 150, with 61 murders (31 of them infanticides) and 89 manslaughters. (I would guess that infanticides were counted in a different way in some Departments but see what I mean about Victorian stats being very iffy!)

Comment

Thank you very much, Rosella. This may seem trivial, but believe me, it is not for nothing.

Comment

Oh, right! Do you want to chalk that up!

Comment

Working...
                  X