X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SirJohnFalstaff
    replied
    Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    I thing there were probably a few places where people where payed to turn a blind eye...its bridewell's theory.....i like it....weekly retainer...pay as you go...monthly fee to the landlord...it could be anyway really. But your original question of who is paying is a good question....
    Dew's memoirs underline the importance of gangs. Maybe there were territorial weekly protection money.

a % of the money from lodging houses, maybe?

It could also be an interesting hypothesis that Jack was caught by some people from the underworld, and they just killed him. That's why he stopped.

There is, I think, no way to prove that.

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    Interesting. Are we just talking Hanbury Street here or the other locations as well?

How do you see it working in practice? Was it pay as you go, or did they pay a weekly retainer?

MrB
    I thing there were probably a few places where people where payed to turn a blind eye...its bridewell's theory.....i like it....weekly retainer...pay as you go...monthly fee to the landlord...it could be anyway really. But your original question of who is paying is a good question....

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Prostitutes, Pimps or Johns who else?
    Interesting. Are we just talking Hanbury Street here or the other locations as well?

How do you see it working in practice? Was it pay as you go, or did they pay a weekly retainer?

MrB

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Hi Rocky,

Paid off by whom?

MrB
    Prostitutes, Pimps or Johns who else?

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Hi Rocky,

Paid off by whom?

MrB

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Yeah, I can just picture him patting his pockets before leaving out:

'Keys. Knife. Door Wedge.'

MrB
    I meant bride wells theory of someone in the building being payed off to leave prostitutes & johns alone. The ripper was likely a john with lots and lots of experience...he probably frequented prostitutes whenever possible and was familiar with little things like this

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Qlder View Post
    Don't forget that the fence around the yard at 29 Hanbury Street was not like a prison wall. It is within the bounds of possibilty that JtR was agile enough to get over a yard fence. When we start thinking that he was so lucky not to be noticed coming out the front of 29 Hanbury Street into a street starting to stir with morning traffic, we must also start thinking that it becomes more likely that he went over the back fence, so didn't need that much luck at all.

NB: We are dealing in likelihoods/probabilities. There are very few known, absolute facts about how these crimes were committed.
    Echoes of Spring-heeled Jack here. 'Leaps tall buildings in a single bound'

Seriously, do you think that was part of his plan, to vault into Albert Cadosch's back yard? Then what? Over the next fence and then the next and then ...

MrB

Leave a comment:

• Qlder
    replied
    Don't forget that the fence around the yard at 29 Hanbury Street was not like a prison wall. It is within the bounds of possibilty that JtR was agile enough to get over a yard fence. When we start thinking that he was so lucky not to be noticed coming out the front of 29 Hanbury Street into a street starting to stir with morning traffic, we must also start thinking that it becomes more likely that he went over the back fence, so didn't need that much luck at all.

NB: We are dealing in likelihoods/probabilities. There are very few known, absolute facts about how these crimes were committed.

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    I'm not comfortable with this idea of The Ripper as some kind of evil genius who had timed the local bobby's beats to the exact minute. I still believe that the killer was opportunistic in nature, had a good knowledge of the local area to make a quick getaway but most importantly he was LUCKY.
    Last edited by Harry D; 09-27-2014, 04:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Varqm
    replied
    My opinion but more likely that his previous experiences with these places created informed decisions which created better luck. More likely than sheer luck 4 or 5 murders in a row. All he needed was 5-10 minutes. Got nothing to do with urinals.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    That's a smart theory bridewell!
    Yeah, I can just picture him patting his pockets before leaving out:

'Keys. Knife. Door Wedge.'

MrB

Leave a comment:

• Rosella
    replied
    This was quite late in the day for murder, though. People in the house were stirring, so were people in the streets. Didnt Amelia Richardson have a hired hand, Francis Tyler, who worked in the cellar of No 29 in her packing case business? He was supposed to start work at 6am. He often didnt turn up on time apparently, but what if he'd turned up early?

There were three workmen near 23A waiting to start work when John Davis rushed into the street at about 5:50am.Successful murderers need huge amounts of luck. Jack took risks but his luck held.

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    But as the killer was able to ensure that the woman didn't suddenly start screaming 'Murder' there is no problem with the raising of dossers' eyebrows. I agree with Damaso - the back yard at 29 Hanbury Street was a trap only on paper. The door opened outwards. There would be no danger of disturbance by anyone entering the yard if the killer was somehow able to keep it shut. I do wonder if there was someone who used to take a small fee for ensuring that prostitutes and their clients were left undisturbed.
    That's a smart theory bridewell!

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
    Jack, however, was an expert at this not happening...not outdoors, at least.
    And so he didn't need to factor the possibility into a choice of venue. Escape routes weren't an issue and therefore detailed local knowledge wasn't necessary.

MrB

Leave a comment:

• Damaso Marte
    replied
    But if the woman suddenly started screaming 'murder' it would be an altogether different matter.
    Jack, however, was an expert at this not happening...not outdoors, at least.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X