Church Passage/ St. James's Passage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Passage/ St. James's Passage

From maps and sims, I think I understand the layout of Mitre Square in 1888. But when I visited the location I was very confused. What I think was Church Passage was identified as St. James's passage, which by my understanding was a different entry into Mitre Square in 1888. I'm very confused. Is the St. James's passage, where the plaque to Kate Eddowes is, the Church Passage from 1888?

You are quite correct. What was Church Passage has been renamed as St James passage.

Attached Files
    Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Just to be clear, when St. James Passage, or The Covered Passage, is used in a 1888 context it is where the pale green line is shown in the map below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-10 155610.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	830854
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The more common term for that passage leading from St. James Place to Mitre Square was - the Covered Passage, I know it has been referred to in modern times as St. James Passage, I just can't find a contemporary reference to it by that name.

The square then widens some seven or eight yards on each side, forming secluded corners on the north-west and south-west. Running from the north-east corner of the square is a covered passage leading to St. James's-place, otherwise known as the "Orange Market," where three men of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade are always on duty at a fire escape station until daybreak.
        London Evening News, 1 Oct. 1888.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Wickerman, I learned the 1888 layout originally from reading Sugden but falsely remember him using the term St. James Passage to describe your green line on the map. Upon double-checking, he refers to it as the passage running from Mitre Square to St. James's place, or the Orange Market. I guess they sold oranges there? Too bad not grapes.

Comment

Working...
          X