Location of lamps etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Perfectly sound reasoning Jeff, my concern, and it's no more than that, with the "and of the row", is that given Neil came from the west, the lamp before might be called the start, rather than the end. however, that's far from conclusive.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Fair point, though as with so much JtR, not conclusive. I could see either end being refered to as an end, and one can say things like "both ends of the row ..." and sound perfectly normal.

And I agree with your other post indicating how the light levels may not correspond to the image. It is a simulation, and I am familiar enough with those to recognize caution is always required! It is good work for sure, and has got some good discussions going as well, so what more can be asked for?

- Jeff

Comment

I'm not sure I see the point of the light circled as the brewery lights would be supplying light to, more or less, the same area. A light at the Brown and Eagle gateway makes practical sense.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	113
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	831556

I'm not sure I see the point of the light circled as the brewery lights would be supplying light to, more or less, the same area. A light at the Brown and Eagle gateway makes practical sense.
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

Hi Dusty,
          Much of this is based on the thread "Polly by gaslight" on JTRFORUMS, which is referenced in post 2 of this thread.

It was argued in that thread that there is the possibility there was no light at the position you mention close to the junction with Brady Street, lights from the Brewery covering thisthis area as you say.

There is certainly no mention of a light by Browne and Eagle, although I agree this would seem logical.

It is therefore possible that there was no light between the lamp to the west of Brown's Yard and Brady Street.
          Like much it's still very unclear.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

As Steve says above, the light positions are based on a combination of sources which I’ve put into a model. The one you circle is present in 1873 and there is no definite reason for its removal. Additionally in 1873 there was a lamp opposite the Brown and Eagle gateway on the wall of 9/10 Buck’s Row, which appears to be absent on the sketches and later photographs. The Schneider and Sons light makes more practical sense than one adjacent to Essex Wharf, but I’ve not shared that model, for the position of the lamp shown in the newspaper sketch as opposite the murder scene.

The full model enables all of the lights excepting those on the southern side of Whitechapel road to be individually adjusted for brightness and whether they are on/present or not. These pictures are an initial draft share.

Hopefully I’ll have a completed model to demonstrate soon, but compatibility may be problematic due to how I’ve built it.

Paul

Comment

Looking forward to it, thanks.
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

I've completed the Buck's Row model first version. It's only currently working on Excel 365 (apologies but there are control components that don't work in google sheets and I've not checked for backward compatibility to open calc etc). I've put a download link below. Any questions, suggestions etc please let me know.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by kjab3112 View Post
                  I've completed the Buck's Row model first version. It's only currently working on Excel 365 (apologies but there are control components that don't work in google sheets and I've not checked for backward compatibility to open calc etc). I've put a download link below. Any questions, suggestions etc please let me know.

Paul

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...bLLtjWAFMlZ2Be
                  Really good work! Thanks for sharing!

- Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X