Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSG on Goulston

Hello,

Im wondering whether anyone has come across any information concerning The Goulston Street Synagogue, at one time listed at Goulston Street, London E1? There is apparently no date available for its closure but it may well have been operational at the time of the murders. Just looking at reasons why the GSG might have appeared at that specific location.

Please let me know if you have a lead or some idea where more can be found on this congregation. I wonder if any International Club members from Berner might be connected to it...that sort of thing.

Michael Richards

Interesting!! Not heard much about GSG will follow this thread!!

Comment

JCR-UK: Goulston Street Synagogue (closed), London E1, England
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        There is apparently no date available for its closure but it may well have been operational at the time of the murders.
        Hi Michael. My own first thought on matters like this is to look for a Goad map of the street concerned. But it's always so hard to look them up by year and location...

Anyone have a complete set???

Mark D.

Comment

I did see that as well DJA, but noted that its closure date is unknown. Not sure if it had been a contentious operation either.
          Michael Richards

Comment

Possibly demolished for housing prior to GSG.
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Have a look at this link, 2nd paragraph

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                Have a look at this link, 2nd paragraph

https://surveyoflondon.org/map/feature/352/detail/
                Interesting post. That paragraph is germane for sure, although it doesnt address whether the noise complaints actually closed the location or just prohibited music and dancing there. I wonder what kind of meetings were held there. It does seem that Jewish occupation on that street was consistent for quite a number of years.
                Michael Richards

Comment

I believe that the reason the GSG is found where it was is because the author is intentionally linking his message to that local Jewish community. I have also tried to determine whether any Club members resided there in the Model Homes. Nothing concrete there, but a hint that a brother of one of the members lived there at that time. The grafitto, as I see it, is a subtlety phrased accusation of impropriety or criminal activity, and since is specifically is about Male Jews, a club filled with them where a murdered woman is found might have been the catalyst.

One thing that is interesting about this is that A) If he intentionally left that there to accuse Jews of something, its unlikely that it happened as a accidental location, where he just happened to drop the apron section. So, he planned to go there. And B) the only evidence we see there is from Mitre Square, so is this writing a declaration that he, Jack, isnt to blame for Berner Street,...and that the Jews there wont be blamed for nothing..or, maybe...without good reason?
                  Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Michael. Hope you are well.

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                    ... so is this writing a declaration that he, Jack, isnt to blame for Berner Street,...
                    -- Wouldn't that require your Mitre Square killer to have heard all about the Berner Street murder impossibly soon after it happened??

Mark D.

Comment

Wentworth Model Dwellings was mostly occupied by Jews.
                      O have you seen the devle
                      with his mikerscope and scalpul
                      a lookin at a Kidney
                      With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Working...
                      X