A photo from the original Newspaper illustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A photo from the original Newspaper illustration

We've all probably seen this drawing of a group of people posing by the archway into Miller's Court:

It was clearly a drawing of an actual photo which we've never seen...
    until now!

The Blog post link:
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Hi Richard,

Good to see you back it, the work you did on the 3D recreations of the crime scenes was outstanding. I know you credit your recent work to the AI technology but your selling yourself short. It's great to see you utilising current technology, but don't take away from the time and effort you put into your previous work, because that was genuinely amazing. You've been a quiet credit to the subject, and it's good to see you continuing in your passion. The effort you put into the dimensions of Mary Kelly's bed are testament to your commitment. Keep it up chap.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      Hi Richard,

Good to see you back it, the work you did on the 3D recreations of the crime scenes was outstanding. I know you credit your recent work to the AI technology but your selling yourself short. It's great to see you utilising current technology, but don't take away from the time and effort you put into your previous work, because that was genuinely amazing. You've been a quiet credit to the subject, and it's good to see you continuing in your passion. The effort you put into the dimensions of Mary Kelly's bed are testament to your commitment. Keep it up chap.
      Thanks
      I need to work on this particular photo, though. Looking at it now the people (all kids) are all wrong with incorrect sizes in relation to the archway.
      The archway was about 8.5 ft high at it highest. The drainpipe connection is about 5 ft high - which means the boys (they should NOT have facial hair) would only be 4 ft tall and the girls standing in the passage (yes one is depicted as an 'Artful Dodger'!) would be only 3 ft tall!
      Plus the shorter girl in the passage is actually a figure standing much further inside the passage rather than right at the entrance (right on the path).
      So lots of work on that one.

Comment

Also on the drawing, there are a group of three men in the doorway on the right, but the photo only shows two men are present.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          Also on the drawing, there are a group of three men in the doorway on the right, but the photo only shows two men are present.
          Aye, there's a lot wrong with it.
          I might just remove the people and create a clear view down the passage!

Comment

Richard,

That's very cool.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
              The archway was about 8.5 ft high at it highest. The drainpipe connection is about 5 ft high .....
              That's definitely your fixed reference, I read in the press the passage was 3ft wide but I don't remember anyone giving the height of the passage.

Having a slow day here I enlarged both existing photo's of the Millers Court entrance and was able to define exactly 35 rows of house bricks, from the bottom of the doorstep to the inside of the arch at its highest point.
              I have always used a house brick dimension of 2.25 inch high, plus a half inch cement line. Others may find a different brick, but my house was built before WWI.
              35 bricks is fixed, I just multiplied 35 by 2.75 inch (2.25 + 0.5 inch) which makes the inside of the arch at it's highest point exactly 96.25 inch which is 8ft high, allowing a quarter inch for errors

Perhaps you had the same approach but used a different dim. house brick.
              It makes for a sound anchor point for everything else you add to the scene.
              Good job Richard.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
              X