A heartfelt request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heartfelt request

I know the Ripper area reasonably well - worked for years just round the corner - but there's plenty of the more obscure spots I'm sure to have missed. I've even been on several Ripper tours - daft but a laugh.

To my shame, I've never on my own tramped around, on some pre-planned route. I'm especially interested in stuff around Mitre Square (not the square itself) and the route to where bloody rag was found. Also Stride sites.

So, the double event really.

I'm staying in Drury Lane next Tuesday night, and will have time on my own (i.e. away from family!) to do this on Wednesday, for about 3 hours. It's a short hop to get into the area.

Could anyone suggest an itinerary? I know it's an ask, but someone with detailed local knowledge and with points to do with specific locations?

Many thanks,

Roylott

When you say 'itinerary', do you mean you would like a sequential list of streets where it is believed the killer ran between Mitre Sq and Goulston St.?

Here in blue line is the suspected route on a Google Map, just as an example of what I mean.

The Red line shows the 'as the crow flies' distance between the two locations, but the Blue line follows the route of streets as existed in 1888. As you can see the Blue line runs through some buildings in places, they were not there in 1888.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post
      I know the Ripper area reasonably well - worked for years just round the corner - but there's plenty of the more obscure spots I'm sure to have missed. I've even been on several Ripper tours - daft but a laugh.

To my shame, I've never on my own tramped around, on some pre-planned route. I'm especially interested in stuff around Mitre Square (not the square itself) and the route to where bloody rag was found. Also Stride sites.

So, the double event really.

I'm staying in Drury Lane next Tuesday night, and will have time on my own (i.e. away from family!) to do this on Wednesday, for about 3 hours. It's a short hop to get into the area.

Could anyone suggest an itinerary? I know it's an ask, but someone with detailed local knowledge and with points to do with specific locations?

Many thanks,

Roylott
      If you are quite familiar with the area, this may not be for you, but I found the attached book to be a real help when I visited Whitechapel last year.

Edgar's Guide to Jack the Ripper's East EndBy Richard Jones and Adam Wood Edgar's Guide to Jack the Ripper's East End is the ultimate tour around the sites of the infamous Whitechapel Murders. It enables you to visit all but one of the eleven murder sites, and delve deeper into the backstreets of Spitalfields and White

Comment

Here is a more contemporary map with the same Red & Blue lines.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          When you say 'itinerary', do you mean you would like a sequential list of streets where it is believed the killer ran between Mitre Sq and Goulston St.?

Here in blue line is the suspected route on a Google Map, just as an example of what I mean.

The Red line shows the 'as the crow flies' distance between the two locations, but the Blue line follows the route of streets as existed in 1888. As you can see the Blue line runs through some buildings in places, they were not there in 1888.
          Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

If you are quite familiar with the area, this may not be for you, but I found the attached book to be a real help when I visited Whitechapel last year.

https://mangobooks.co.uk/products/ed...42793966796960
            Thanks - I'll get that I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Perfect, I'll use this.

Many thanks

SMILEY FACE!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post

Could anyone suggest an itinerary?
                No, but a visit to the local muffin man may be good way to start the day. Oops, too late.

Comment

Working...
                X