Period clothing similarities and differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a "wide-awake" style hat is?
    Think the Quaker Oats guy.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

These look a little different...
      Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Can someone please confirm if the following is true...

Originally posted by Hunter View Post

Chapman's 'pockets' were similar to a modern nail apron used by construction workers; tied around the waste with an attached string. It would have been under her outer garments. This was the one item that Chapman's murderer ripped apart... after she was deader than a doornob.
        Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post
          Really?? That big of a bream? I thought hats like that went out in the early 1700s. I was thinking more along the lines of a fedora, but even those did not come in until the early 20th century, around WW1. Thanks! Learn something new every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

There were different styles, 'wideawake' refers to the material finish. The hat typically is made of felt, but felt often has a raised finish like very small hair. This is called 'nap', the wideawake hat is shaved down to remove this fine hair 'fuzzy' finish - therefore it has no 'nap' - which is why it is jokingly described as Wideawake.
            Generally having a wide brim and low crown, like a Quaker hat, or Cowboy style.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	831514Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	831515
            Excellent! Thanks so much! These do certainly resemble Quaker hats, and even some styles of cowboy hats. I have seen sterotypical riverboat gamblers in films wear something like this.

Comment

Great thread. What about a "peaked cap?"

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post
                Can someone please confirm if the following is true...

From what I have always been taught, the modern butchers apron, which was made from a calico type material, and did have a long wide pouch pocket at the front, is the nearest garment worn at least in the 1970's, to the typical woman's servant apron of the late 19th century.
                It must be said, there were a variety of styles of apron.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                X