Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Mason and the Lady at 29 Hanbury Street

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Having seen the documentary, "the London nobody knows" from circa '67, I would be interested to find out who the lady was opening the door to James Mason. He knocks on the door, it appears, with ill-conceived disdain and she moves away, it appears, in anguish. James was from Huddersfield so the "slum" element should not be a surprise given the situation in all norhern towns at the time of his youth.

Kind regards, and up the Owls.

The lady seen in the film may be Kathleen Manning who was featured in Colin Wilson’s Evening Standard articles in August 1960 and who lived at 29 Hanbury Street until 1968. At that point, she was only one of two residents of the house, the other being a William J. Loughlin.

JB

Comment

[QUOTE=John Bennett;272202]The lady seen in the film may be Kathleen Manning who was featured in Colin Wilson’s Evening Standard articles in August 1960 and who lived at 29 Hanbury Street until 1968. At that point, she was only one of two residents of the house, the other being a William J. Loughlin.

Thank you Mr Bennett.

Have you tried to trace Ms Manning and Mr Loughlin? My relative, Thomas Costello and his wife Mary, lived at 29 Hanbury Street in 1891 so JTR was / is a fascination due to first tracing the the family history. We have photos of Thomas but my brother has them. Will try and get them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wednesday View Post

Thank you Mr Bennett.

Have you tried to trace Ms Manning and Mr Loughlin? My relative, Thomas Costello and his wife Mary, lived at 29 Hanbury Street in 1891 so JTR was / is a fascination due to first tracing the the family history. We have photos of Thomas but my brother has them. Will try and get them.
        The Wednesday,

Fascinating stuff. Anything you are able to add to the history of 29, Hanbury Street will be avidly received on this forum.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hope you don't mind me adding an extra question to this thread.

I've just seen TLNN and wondered if there's a site where I can find ours which street is which.

I know the drunken fight is on Brick Lane and Itchy Park features the sleeping homeless but does anyone know the rest from the Spitalfields section?

Comment

I'd be interesting in knowing the answer to that as well. (Thanks for locating the drunken fight to Brick Lane - I'll view the DVD again over the next day or two).

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
              Anything you are able to add to the history of 29, Hanbury Street will be avidly received on this forum.
              Here's something

Click image for larger version

Name:	morristraderlicense1932.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	666101

Licence for Morris Fisher of 29 Hanbury St, E1 to sell umbrellas etc on Whitechapel Road issued in 1932 by Stepney Borough

Comment

Just found reelstreets.com

Won't let me cut and paste the link for some reason. Not sure why. Dodgy ipad in all probability.

Anyway, it answers a few questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
                  Here's something

[ATTACH]16854[/ATTACH]

Licence for Morris Fisher of 29 Hanbury St, E1 to sell umbrellas etc on Whitechapel Road issued in 1932 by Stepney Borough
                  Thanks, Paddy.

Comment

Working...
                  X