X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi barnflatwyngarde,

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    Really good stuff Jeff.

I have always thought that detailed maps and 3D simulations would be the way forward in this fascinating case.

Could you tell me what maps you were using, and give a link to them, also what software were you using in the Youtube videos?
    Thanks. I use the OS 25 inch, 1892-1914 overlay (you select them in the lower box at "2.") here: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=168&b=1

I take a screen shot then save the image to my computer.

I've written the software myself using Delphi (basically Pascal for Windows). Over the years, as I use it, I've realised that there are some things I need to work on "under the hood" to make it a bit more versatile, but that will require finding a bit of time.

- Jeff

Comment

Hi Ms Diddles,

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I thought you had a very nice calming voice, Jeff!

If you ever fancied a change of career you would make an excellent hypnotherapist or hostage negotiator!!
      <blush> You're too kind.

Wait, ... maybe you're saying I put people to sleep? ha ha

- Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Excellent. A very well thought out animation.

One thing I've always puzzled over. Why did an H Division PC [Mizen] have to go all the way to Bethnal Green [J Division] to fetch an ambulance?

Did H Division not have one of its own?

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Jeff,

Excellent. A very well thought out animation.

One thing I've always puzzled over. Why did an H Division PC [Mizen] have to go all the way to Bethnal Green [J Division] to fetch an ambulance?

Did H Division not have one of its own?

Simon
          Thanks Simon. I don't know about why he went to BG, but apparently he did. There probably was a reason for it, and someone may know what could have influenced his choice, but that's not me I'm afraid.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
            Hi barnflatwyngarde,

Thanks. I use the OS 25 inch, 1892-1914 overlay (you select them in the lower box at "2.") here: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=168&b=1

I take a screen shot then save the image to my computer.

I've written the software myself using Delphi (basically Pascal for Windows). Over the years, as I use it, I've realised that there are some things I need to work on "under the hood" to make it a bit more versatile, but that will require finding a bit of time.

- Jeff
            Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.
              No problem.

- Jeff

Comment

Hi all.

FrankO asked me if it was possible to explore a couple options with regards to how Eddowes and JtR entered Mitre Square, given there are two other routes (via St. James Place, or from Mitre Street).

I'm working with a few restrictions when I put the simulations together.

First, Eddowes and JtR are not in Mitre Square while it is raining (Lawende and company report it was raining until 1:33, Leve, or 1:35, Lawende).
                Eddowes and JtR do not start moving towards Mitre Square until the rain stops (even if they are not the Church Passage Couple I'm presuming they take shelter somewhere to wait it out).
                Third, in terms of the amount of time required for the crime, the medical testimony of the day ranged from 3 minutes (Dr. Sequeira) to 5 (Dr. Brown).
                Fourth, that JtR is prompted to leave the scene at 1:41, when PC Harvey patrols Church Passage. I do consider the possibility that JtR waits for PC Havey to turn around and exit Church Passage (so that he can exit that route), but even in that situation the murder and mutilations have to have been completed at that point (JtR stops moving so as not to be spotted).

I always choose the most restrictive values, so I go with Lawende's 5 minutes for the rain, and Dr. Brown's requirement for 5 minutes.

So, if a starting point results in estimating Eddowes and JtR arriving more than 15 seconds after I have the CPC arriving, then that starting location would not meet the strict of the criterion being used here. Obviously, some situations might not fit this criterion, but would pass the more liberal test if one goes with Dr. Sequeira's estimate (which does get support from some, but not all, modern doctors) and/or Leve's estimate of the rain delay being only 4, or as little as 3, minutes.

I use the most restrictive values of 5 minutes murder and 5 minutes rain delay because anything that does provide that minimum of 5 minutes at the crime scene, is something that just gets easier once one considers the less restrictive testimony (3 minute murder and 3 minute rain delay) while not everything that gives a 3 minute window following a 3 minute rain would work as we tighten up the restrictions.

Anyway, the simulation is the same as the earlier one, the only difference is I've added two alternatives to the CPC where they enter Mitre Square from Mitre Street , with one alternative having them come from the south (Aldgate), and the other they approach from the north.

The entire video lasts 5 minutes 54 seconds, so almost a minute longer than the estimated time for the murder; just something to think about.

You can link to video here.

- Jeff

Comment

Ok, I've given it a go.

After a few attempts, I was finally able to string together all of the bits and pieces surrounding the events on Berner Street in an attempt to simulate the Stride Murder (video here ).

The times shown reflect Dr. Blackwell's watch. Also, I've incorporated the findings from research on people's ability to estimate temporal durations because we have a tendency to overestimate short durations (i.e. estimating a duration as 5 minutes tends to mean the true duration was around 3m 37 seconds, though it could have been as short as 1m 38s or as long as 15m 6 s (honest, we're rubbish at it).

I've described how I've done this before, but basically, I timestamp things to Dr. Blackwell's arrival at the crime scene at 1:16 (on his watch), and after that I simulate the journeys and delays that people testify to, in order to chain the events together to match up with Dr. Blackwell's arrival. And it turns out by doing so Deimshutz arrives at the yard at 1:00 and some seconds! (No, it is not that he was set to arrive then, but working backwards from Dr. Blackwell's arrival it places Deimshutz as arriving at 1:00). Some events are not as strongly tied in, like Goldstein's walk down Berner Street. Basically, that could be shifted around to any point during Fanny Mortimer being out on her step. Likewise, the Schwartz event can also occur any time after she goes inside. The proposed movements of Stride also don't have to happen exactly at the times shown, she would just have to be where she's shown at certain points (i.e. James Brown says he sees her on Fairclough during his visit to the chandlers, and so as long as Stride is in that position at the time of his shopping then all is good. But I have to move her at some point before Fanny Mortimer comes out, as she doesn't see Stride. I had her move after PC Smith went by, as if the police presence prompted her to move on type thing).

Anyway, please remember that in order to do this I've had to make some assumptions. If some of the sightings are false ones, then clearly I shouldn't have Stride in that location, for example. But, I think this does show that all of the sightings could be real. That's just not the same thing as saying "All of the sightings must be real" (and at the risk of repeating myself, I'm not saying that).

Hope you enjoy.

- Jeff

Comment

Oh, and if I could beg an indulgence here, given the admin has been so kind as to make this a "sticky topic", if anyone wishes to discuss / critique the simulations and how the events are depicted, please create a separate thread (perhaps under the appropriate victims areas?). That way, this topic will have fewer pages for people to search through to find the links to the various animations. If in those discussions I present any modifications, I will provide links there for those following that discussion, and I can add posts to them here as well that include a link to the new thread as well. To the extent people find these useful, it might be nice if they can be easily found without having to search through lots of pages.

- Jeff

Comment

Oh, and if I could beg an indulgence here, given the admin has been so kind as to make this a "sticky topic", if anyone wishes to discuss / critique the simulations and how the events are depicted, please create a separate thread (perhaps under the appropriate victims areas?). That way, this topic will have fewer pages for people to search through to find the links to the various animations. If in those discussions I present any modifications, I will provide links there for those following that discussion, and I can add posts to them here as well that include a link to the new thread as well. To the extent people find these useful, it might be nice if they can be easily found without having to search through lots of pages.

- Jeff
                      Hi Jeff, not sure if this will help, but my next book.is Mitre Square.
                      I already have some maps and timings of possible routes and entry points into Mitre Square, and exits too.

Let me know by pm if interested, happy to share with you

Steve

Comment

Hi all.

FrankO asked me if it was possible to explore a couple options with regards to how Eddowes and JtR entered Mitre Square, given there are two other routes (via St. James Place, or from Mitre Street).
                        Thanks Jeff for your excellent work. Much appreciated! These animations give us a better handle/insight on what happened or what would work and what wouldn't.

Cheers,
                        Frank
                        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Ok, I've given it a go.

After a few attempts, I was finally able to string together all of the bits and pieces surrounding the events on Berner Street in an attempt to simulate the Stride Murder (video here ).
                          And another great job, Jeff!

I wonder if you'd find it worth your while adding PC Lamb, who stated that he'd passed the top of Berner Street 6 or 7 minutes before he was called by Morris Eagle & Kozebrodsky. I've calculated that, assuming he walked at a pace of 2.5 miles per hour, he'd covered around 475 yards from the top of Berner Street to a point between Christian Street and Batty Street (at that point he was returning towards Berner Street). And Eagle being sent for the Leman Street police station, where he arrived at around 1.10 am.

Some 'finetuning' adjustments could be that after Lamb sent PC 426H for Dr. Blackwell, he blew his whistle and other constables arrived, which is perfectly in line with PC Albert Collins shortly before Smith, the latter stating that there were 2 constables there when he arrived. Also, Smith went for the ambulance just as PC 426 H returned with Blackwell's assistant. Minor points, but perhaps interesting to see them as well.

Cheers,
                          Frank

PS This is all my "critique" here on this thread, I'll find an appropriate other thread for additional points of critique/discussion, if I'll have any, that is.
                          Last edited by FrankO; 11-04-2022, 11:36 AM.
                          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Working...
                          X