Franklin Sydney King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin Sydney King

This thread is in regard to Mitre Square escape routes.

Franklin Sydney King

David S King and Son were builders. There offices were at No 9, Billiter Square which is minutes away from Mitre Square. On September 17th, 1888 Franklin Sydney King (son and business partner of David King) filed for bankruptcy. On September 29, 1888, the day of the double event, King had a hearing of creditors for that bankruptcy.

Franklin S. King has some other interesting locations attached to him. To start, in 1877 and 1881 he is listed at 5, Mitre Street. The back of this location overlooks the spot where Eddowes was killed. It butts up to the yard where the gate was near her body. I'm pretty sure he wasn't living there in 1888, however, on September 29th, 1877, he signed a 60 year lease with the Richard Beddoes Charity for the property at 4,5,6,7 and 8 King Street. This property had frontage on King Street and Heneage Lane. It was steps away from St. James Place. I will include a map below to show the access to Mitre Square this property had. Also, he was listed with a property in Goulston Square next to the bath house, Croydon (Addiscombe), Mark Lane and Castle Alley. We know that it was directly outside the door of his warehouse in Castle Alley that Alice McKenzie was murdered. Quite a coincidence to have two dead women outside your former or current addresses.

Franklin King died in 1892.

FYI-I am not presenting him as a suspect. His locations, which were many, would fit with the GS apron and afford him opportunities for a quick bolthole almost in any direction from Mitre Square, for example.

Regarding the lumber in the yard of No, 5, Mitre Street in 1888. No. 5 was Frankilin's childhood home. He would have been very familiar with the area. At one time, Heydemann and Franklin's father (David) were both recorded at No. 5, Mitre Street. I am wondering if the King family were allowed access to the yard for their construction business after they left?

Black Arrow= King Street lease from Beddoes Charity
    Blue Arrow= No. 5 Mitre Street with Yard in back

Alice McKenzie murder
    Last edited by jerryd; 03-07-2021, 09:18 PM.

First line of this clip is interesting.

Comment

Born Dec 1841 St. James D Place.
      Last edited by DJA; 03-07-2021, 10:37 PM.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
        Born Dec 1841 St. James D Place.
        St James Dukes Place (1851 Census)

Comment

With that,the Church was still there.

Do you have the 1881 Census for those two?
          IIRC there was a police family at 6.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
            With that,the Church was still there.

Do you have the 1881 Census for those two?
            IIRC there was a police family at 6.
            I don't have 1881 but we know those properties were owned in 1888 by the Corporation of London and #5 was occupied by L.D. Heydemann & CO/George Clapp was the caretaker. #6 and #7 were occupied by Robert Johnson.

Comment

The police family (PC Wilson) were living at #5 Mitre Square. They were involved in the 1885 bombing case. Is that who you are thinking about?
              Last edited by jerryd; 03-07-2021, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Probably 15 years since I used Latter Day Saints to do door to door searches,however IIRC 6 Mitre Street was occupied by a police family.
                Odds are you are correct with PC Wilson and family though.
                Don't mind me,Fibromyalgia playing up badly the last day.Really bad brain fog.

Comment

Working...
                X