Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare contemporary photos of the murder sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare contemporary photos of the murder sites?

I'm a new member here, and as far as I can tell these photos have not been shared on casebook as of yet. They are as follows:

29 Hanbury Street backyard - different view point than the commonly shared image taken on an angle. (1888)

Close-up of Dutfields Yard entrance with Ripper tourists (1890)

Close-up of child outside 13 Millers Court, 1889.

I hope these are of some interest.

Wow thanks for sharing!! Any details of sources information??

Comment

The second one appears to be the photo from Philip Hutchinson's book The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs.
      As I recall, it was taken some time after 1900 (1909?) not 1890. Philip Hutchinson does a great job of trying to track who might have taken the photograph, most likely candidate a woman from the states doing a tour of Europe, iirc.

Which of course brings into question the info about the other photos

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
        The second one appears to be the photo from Philip Hutchinson's book The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs.
        As I recall, it was taken some time after 1900 (1909?) not 1890. Philip Hutchinson does a great job of trying to track who might have taken the photograph, most likely candidate a woman from the states doing a tour of Europe, iirc.

Which of course brings into question the info about the other photos
        Yes there is a great book that showcases the Dutfield Yard image along with a great story!! Other photos are interesting indeed !!

Comment

Hi Meet Ze Monster, all,

the first two pictures are from the book The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs by Philip Hutchinson (2009), originally taken by amateur photographer John Gordon Whitby. The first one can be found on page 27 of the 2012 reprint, the second one is the right half of a picture of the entrance to Dutfield's Yard that spans pages 54 and 55.

The third one is a combination of two pictures, the left one is a location photograph that was taken a few days after the Kelly murder, if I'm not mistaken, the right one I haven't seen yet, could be in front of 13 Miller's Court given the window in the background but that's difficult to tell for me since it's quite blurred.

Grüße,

Boris
          Last edited by bolo; 02-12-2021, 10:32 AM.
          ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Not sure about the first?

Isn't the one in the middle from Philip Hutchingson's book 'Jack the Ripper location photographs' not sure how happy he will be that it is being shared, as I know it took a lot of hard work to find it and get confirmed.

The third is, I believe is a of a boy, who has been identified. His mother died and he ended up being killed in the first world war. Information and the picture featured as a tweet from Ripper (@The-East-End) on twitter. Unfortunately I cant seem to find it so don't have the info to hand, though tragic story. I am pretty sure that it is not taken outside miller's court though.

If you are on twitter Ripper is a great person to follow, he puts up some amazing photos!

Tristan
            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

The boy is Tommy Nail (Neale), one of Horace Warner’s Spitalfields Nippers. Not in Millers’ court. Tommy’s family lived in White Lion Street, so the photo could have been taken there.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                The boy is Tommy Nail (Neale), one of Horace Warner’s Spitalfields Nippers. Not in Millers’ court. Tommy’s family lived in White Lion Street, so the photo could have been taken there.
                Thanks for heads up on Millers image! Looking at it again would that cart even fit down the entry??? Which adds to the question not millers court!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  That's him! Found the tweet now. According to 'Ripper' it was taken around 1895. Tommy's mother dies of exhaustion in 1897 and he was to die during WW1 in October 1917. Very sad.
                  Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Wow! So much good info on these pics. You guys really know your stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

That's him! Found the tweet now. According to 'Ripper' it was taken around 1895. Tommy's mother dies of exhaustion in 1897 and he was to die during WW1 in October 1917. Very sad.
                      Very sad indeed life was very harsh back then!!

Comment

Originally posted by Meet Ze Monster View Post
                        Wow! So much good info on these pics. You guys really know your stuff
                        Good bunch of folks on here with vast knowledge on various subjects on the case

Comment

I am always impressed at how quickly folks here are to identify things like this. You really know your stuff :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X