74 Brook Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74 Brook Street

William Gull's former residence, 74 Brook Street, is still there but the most recent Google streetview images show it covered in construction tarp. Are they cleaning the hideous white paint from the brick facade (I hope)? I know that it is no longer a private residence, but can someone tell me its current use?

2011 image of 74 Brook Street.

It looks as good as new. I walk past often and all scaffolding is long gone. Its still residential as far as Im aware. No plaque mentioning Gull sadly.

Comment

Thank you very much Adam . I had given up on getting any replies.

Looking at older images, I couldn't tell if the building was stucco or brick covered in thick white paint.

Comment

Hello DS ,

I had an old video back in the 80's , it was a documentary on Stephen Knights book ( final solution ) In the documentary they walk you through 74 Brook st , it was very interesting , especially the stable yard at the back of the house .. may try to dig it out someday ( the video , not the yard )
        and upload it on line .

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

moonbegger.

What an interesting find! Do you remember the condition of the house at the time of the documentary? Was it still residential? The interior probably bears little resemblance to what is was when Gull lived there, but I can always hope.

Victorian life interests me almost as much as JtR and this website is such an incredible resource on both accounts.
          Last edited by DrummondStreet; 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Some historical info on the house in case anyone is interested.

Comment

Thanks Drummond Street...what a great link...

All the best

Dave

Comment

You are quite welcome, Cogidubnus.

The Survey of London is fascinating, but I wish that there was a description for every building in the city, not just the fancy/important ones. Still, it must have been a massive undertaking just to research and write up the thousands of structures that they did record. I sometimes get lost for hours as I dig through the volumes, just looking up random streets and buildings --and love every second of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
                  moonbegger.

What an interesting find! Do you remember the condition of the house at the time of the documentary? Was it still residential? The interior probably bears little resemblance to what is was when Gull lived there, but I can always hope.

Victorian life interests me almost as much as JtR and this website is such an incredible resource on both accounts.
                  Hello DS ,

Yes if my memory serves me right , it was still residential , i could be wrong but it very much appeared to be .. also very Victorian .

moonbegger

Comment

Working...
                  X