1965 Spitalfields Photo Exhibition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Spitalfields Photo Exhibition

In the first week of September 1965 I came down to London's East End from 'oop North' to study for a degree in Sociology and my prearranged lodgings were in Ocean Estate, a low rise council estate just below Whitechapel Road stretching between Mile End and Stepney Green underground stations. On my first full day in London which was a Sunday I decided to check out Whitechapel where I knew the JTR murders had occurred. Somehow I ended up on Flower and Dean Street and got caught up in what seemed like a mini riot though I don't know what it was about. I'd never seen anything like those Victorian high rise dwellings before and the whole experience slightly traumatised me.

Now, and this is the point of this thread, what I also remember is that all over the place on that day were posters for a photo exhibition called 'Brick Lane Sunday Morning' which had a very scary photo of an old lady with a blacked up face, Al Jolson style. At the time I was 19 and am now 67. The photographer may only be a few years older than me and may be still alive and sitting on a huge stash of fascinating old East End photos but what is his or her name?
    Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 11-05-2012, 10:42 PM.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

The Gentle Author?

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
    In the first week of September 1965 I came down to London's East End from 'oop North' to study for a degree in Sociology and my prearranged lodgings were in Ocean Estate, a low rise council estate just below Whitechapel Road stretching between Mile End and Stepney Green underground stations. On my first full day in London which was a Sunday I decided to check out Whitechapel where I knew the JTR murders had occurred. Somehow I ended up on Flower and Dean Street and got caught up in what seemed like a mini riot though I don't know what it was about. I'd never seen anything like those Victorian high rise dwellings before and the whole experience slightly traumatised me.

Now, and this is the point of this thread, what I also remember is that all over the place on that day were posters for a photo exhibition called 'Brick Lane Sunday Morning' which had a very scary photo of an old lady with a blacked up face, Al Jolson style. At the time I was 19 and am now 67. The photographer may only be a few years older than me and may be still alive and sitting on a huge stash of fascinating old East End photos but what is his or her name?
    Hi Stephen,

It wasn't the Gentle Author of Ripperologist fame was it? He (or is it she?) seems to publish personal photos from around that time.

Regards, Bridewell.

I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

It wasn't the Gentle Author of Ripperologist fame was it? He (or is it she?) seems to publish personal photos from around that time.

Hi Bridewell

That was quick.

I imagine that our Gentle Author friend may be the boy to solve this one.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
      X