Whitechapel sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel sounds

hi, would welcome any thoughts on the type of sounds one would hear if they were transported back to Whitechapel in 1888. During the day and night. I appreciate they'd be a lot of clippity clop of horses hooves, newspaper boys calling, occasional dog barking out but what else ?
    I'd really appreciate any info you have. thanks

I am fully braced in anticipation for the responses to this one...

Ahem.

"The sound of Charles Cross laughing as he walks away from a well duped PC Mizen"
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

My question is a long shot but I have good reasons for asking. It's a project I'm working on. But on another note, do you really think that Charles Cross killed Polly Nichols? Surely he'd have been covered in blood? also wasn't he on his way to work at the time so unlikely to have been premeditated?

Comment

Sorry, I couldn't resist, it was just too enticing!

No, I don't think Lechmere is the killer, I don't have any preferred suspect.
        It's actually a good question, Mayhew's "London Labour and London Poor" is a great resource for getting an idea of just how busy the streets were. Also, the amount of industry cheek by jowl with residential property, combined with the amount of people who had nowhere to go all day would have made for a noisy environment.
        Then there's the smoke and dust, the mixing of odours, the numerous pubs, quite a different atmosphere.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Market patter:

(6 Jul 1961) That famous East End street market, Petticoat Lane, is one of the sights of London. They have bargain sales all the year round in the lane, they...

6 films throughout the last 110+ years showing changing fashions and technology. Thanks to British Pathe and people who took these shots. Added in speed co...

Comment

Back then, much as it is many poorer counties of the world, there was much more in the way street food. Most people who were poor wouldnt have access to their own kitchen facilities or pantries obviously, so many relied on cheap and cheerful street food if they could afford it. There would have been many vendors selling many different things like baked potatoes, jellied eels, pea soup, cold fried fish (a traditional Jewish / Eastern European dish), fried poatoes (with the combo going on to become the famous fish and chips we know today), bagels, sandwiches and much more - so I feel the sound of sellers promoting their food amid the other ambient market noises - would form a signifcant portion of the street noise. Distant trains rattling along nearby rails for overground and underground trains. Street kids were left pretty much to their own devices so noises of children running around / chasing easch other would be common. Police whistles. The constant clunk of hoof on cobble.

This is what the soundscape of Whitechapel 1888 sounds like to me.
            Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
            JayHartley.com

Comment

I'm going to create something based on this and see what you think. May take a little while but I see it as an educational and fun thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTwibbs View Post
                hi, would welcome any thoughts on the type of sounds one would hear if they were transported back to Whitechapel in 1888. During the day and night. I appreciate they'd be a lot of clippity clop of horses hooves, newspaper boys calling, occasional dog barking out but what else ?
                I'd really appreciate any info you have. thanks
                Hello! I'm not sure if you're the type of person who's into video games, but I play Assassin's Creed and there's an excellent Jack the Ripper story in it, it's set in Whitechapel and I feel like I'm immersed there when I play it. They've applied great attention to every little detail of the surroundings. I love to explore it.

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                  Back then, much as it is many poorer counties of the world, there was much more in the way street food. Most people who were poor wouldnt have access to their own kitchen facilities or pantries obviously, so many relied on cheap and cheerful street food if they could afford it. There would have been many vendors selling many different things like baked potatoes, jellied eels, pea soup, cold fried fish (a traditional Jewish / Eastern European dish), fried poatoes (with the combo going on to become the famous fish and chips we know today), bagels, sandwiches and much more - so I feel the sound of sellers promoting their food amid the other ambient market noises - would form a signifcant portion of the street noise. Distant trains rattling along nearby rails for overground and underground trains. Street kids were left pretty much to their own devices so noises of children running around / chasing easch other would be common. Police whistles. The constant clunk of hoof on cobble.

This is what the soundscape of Whitechapel 1888 sounds like to me.
                  Great answer you make a good point about the food vendors. Wouldn't it be nice to travel back in time even for a few minutes and see life as it was then?

Comment

I've played the Jack The Ripper versus Holmes games many years ago and agree it is excellent.

Comment

do you really think that Charles Cross killed Polly Nichols? Surely he'd have been covered in blood? also wasn't he on his way to work at the time so unlikely to have been premeditated?

No he didn't.

-He wouldn't kill a woman and go searching for a Policeman carrying the bloody knife he used on himself.

-After disagreeing with Mitzen in front of the jury and the coroner, he wouldn't be sure that the Police will not suspect him and watch him, and go to kill again another woman in one week.

Those two ponits alone destroy the Lechmere theory beyond recognition.

The Baron

Comment

Originally posted by The Baron View Post

No he didn't.

-He wouldn't kill a woman and go searching for a Policeman carrying the bloody knife he used on himself.

-After disagreeing with Mitzen in front of the jury and the coroner, he wouldn't be sure that the Police will not suspect him and watch him, and go to kill again another woman in one week.

Those two ponits alone destroy the Lechmere theory beyond recognition.

The Baron
                        Thank you but I already know this. Hence why I mentioned "Surely he'd have been covered in blood? also wasn't he on his way to work at the time so unlikely to have been premeditated?" My question was aimed at Al Bundy's Eyes reference to Charles Cross/Letchmere laughing as he walked away. Al Bundy's Eyes already advised me he was joking.
                        Last edited by MrTwibbs; 07-19-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I've played the Jack The Ripper versus Holmes games many years ago and agree it is excellent.
                          I haven't played that one myself but I should do. How true to form is it? The assassin's creed one has taken a few liberties story wise but it's still an excellent game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTypeWriter View Post

I haven't played that one myself but I should do. How true to form is it? The assassin's creed one has taken a few liberties story wise but it's still an excellent game.
                            I found it very immersive and fairly accurate. They must have consulted some expert...perhaps one from these forums? I rarely if ever play PC or any other games but it certainly held my interest. I believe there's a walkthrough of the entire game on youtube which is bit like watching a film.

Comment

I've created a small 45 second sample (best enjoyed with earphones to hear all the sounds) of what things may have sounded like back in 1888. Hopefully you'll notice a few familiar references in some of my dialogue including a reference to my user name (couldn't resist!). Little disclaimer. The sample is owned by me and cannot be reproduced or copied without my permission. feedback welcome. mp3 is located here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cqr...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X