Hanbury Street rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanbury Street rear

New image I came across I’ve not seen before no information I’m afraid but is a cracker late 1960s for sure

Hi Christian,
    Interesting find, can't say I've seen it myself but it's hard to tell, they do look a bit "samey".
    Where did you find it if you don't mind my asking?
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      Hi Christian,
      Interesting find, can't say I've seen it myself but it's hard to tell, they do look a bit "samey".
      Where did you find it if you don't mind my asking?
      Hi just found it browsing on web I’ve never seen it reason being you can see clearly through the window to Hanbury Street I have a album full of photos I’ve collected over last 30 years so have seen or got copies of pretty much everything

Comment

That's a great point, you can see right through. I'm guessing at some point a partition wall was knocked out.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

The door also swings inward.

Comment

That's a great point, you can see right through. I'm guessing at some point a partition wall was knocked out.
            Good point about portion wall must be pre demolition 19970 perhaps? Great image though

Comment

How certain is the identification with 29 Hanbury? Several writers have indicted that the houses in the area were pretty much cut from the same mold.

What makes you say "late '60s"? History of acquisition? Quality of photo?

Comment

Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
                How certain is the identification with 29 Hanbury? Several writers have indicted that the houses in the area were pretty much cut from the same mold.

What makes you say "late '60s"? History of acquisition? Quality of photo?
                The steps are quite recognizable from other pictures; the same portion of light color to the upper right of the top step, the same chipped away portions to the upper left part of it, plus many other things like the hole in the wall to the left of the door and so on. It is 29 Hanbury Street alright, there can be no doubt about it.

Comment

[QUOTE=C. F. Leon;n735844

What makes you say "late '60s"? History of acquisition? Quality of photo?[/QUOTE]

Really just that it appears to be derelict, so somewhere in that window between "The London no one knows" and it being knocked down. Other than that, ?
                  Still, a good find from Christian, the tatty book hoarder.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Really just that it appears to be derelict, so somewhere in that window between "The London no one knows" and it being knocked down. Other than that, ?
                    Still, a good find from Christian, the tatty book hoarder.
                    Many thanks Al good man!!

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                      The door also swings inward.
                      Nope, it has been taken off it's hinges and is resting against the internal wall.

Comment

Originally posted by PRB View Post

Nope, it has been taken off it's hinges and is resting against the internal wall.
                        Neither - the door is on its hinges and has swung outward. What you can see inside is the wall panelling.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Neither - the door is on its hinges and has swung outward. What you can see inside is the wall panelling.
                          Gary - You're correct that the door is on its hinges and swung outward, but I don't think the piece inside is paneling, is it? The angle looks wrong and the lower right edge looks thick, while the left edge looks like it comes to an abrupt end like a door. I'm not sure this is correct either, but it looks more like a door has been removed from one of the other rooms and has been set leaning against the hallway wall (?) I wonder if the photo was taken while the house was being demolished, but it looks like there is furniture of some sort visible through the window.

Comment

Or is it just a double door? That's the way it usually works, isn't it? The solid door swings inward, and the screen door outward?

Comment

The double door/screen door arrangement is more American isn’t it?

I see what you mean about the angle of the door/panel, but is that black line a space, or a pipe of some kind.

Comment

Working...
                              X