Journalists and News Agencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journalists and News Agencies

Couldn't find anything about this and wasn't sure which section to put this in but here seems the slightly best option.

Apart from being found about the more famous Fleet Street, would journalists and news agency employees be in the habit of hanging around other areas on the off chance of stumbling across a story? Or would they literally just base themselves at their work premises and only go to certain locations when a story broke via a police report? How quickly did journalists tend to arrive at a crime scene or police station to get details for their articles? Were they sent directly from their news agencies or would they already be in the area for such an occasion?

When plain clothed police officers were doing the rounds about the same time as the 'double event' would some journalists have also been mingling around the area? After the discovery of Catherine Eddowes body, PC Harvey says he directed two private individuals to seek further police assistance. Could these private individuals have been journalists hanging around the area?

Here ya go . . .

Thomas Catling, Editor, Lloyds Weekly Newspaper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CATLING MY LIFE'S PILGRIMAGE 1911 [1].JPG
Views:	355
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	728908

Name:	CATLING MY LIFE'S PILGRIMAGE 1911 [2].JPG
Views:	364
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	728909

Hope it helps.

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thank God , Simon.

For a brief and highly irrational moment I thought you may have been in a helicopter in Kauai. Stay on terra firma as much as possible. And have a pleasant New Year.

Comment

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the thought.

No, not in Kauai. I've actually been in the ICU over the last four days. Head injury. Apart from the staples in my head, the really bad news is that I can't drink for at least two weeks.

Happy New Year.

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Here ya go . . .

Thomas Catling, Editor, Lloyds Weekly Newspaper.

Name:	CATLING MY LIFE'S PILGRIMAGE 1911 [1].JPG
Views:	355
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	728908

Name:	CATLING MY LIFE'S PILGRIMAGE 1911 [2].JPG
Views:	364
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	728909

Hope it helps.

Simon
          Well, it suggests there was at least one press related person in the area at the time.

However, one key point doesn't immediately add up. Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes were taken to different mortuaries so how could Dr Brown have seen both at the same time?

Comment

Hi Simon,

I'm awfully sorry to read of your head injury. You'll be in my thoughts. I hope everything's ok and you're on the mend.

Happy New Year,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Cat View Post

Well, it suggests there was at least one press related person in the area at the time.

However, one key point doesn't immediately add up. Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes were taken to different mortuaries so how could Dr Brown have seen both at the same time?
              It seems, like everyone else involved, time has affected memory. The article is written after the fact, and although the reporters overall recollection is right, finer details get mixed up and misremembered. It's the same in all the memoirs of people involved. Memory is a fallible thing.
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the thought.

No, not in Kauai. I've actually been in the ICU over the last four days. Head injury. Apart from the staples in my head, the really bad news is that I can't drink for at least two weeks.

Happy New Year.

Simon
                Sorry to hear that, take care and get well soon.
                As a community, we'll keep an eye on your posts, if you start promoting the Royal Conspiracy we'll know the head injuries serious and have you humanely destroyed.
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the thought.

Happy New Year.

Simon
                  hi Simon
                  cant drink for two weeks?!? hang in there!

Seriously though, sorry for your injury-get well soon.

Comment

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the thought.

Happy New Year.

Simon
                    Hi Simon, so sorry to hear about your injury my friend, I hope you get back on your feet again soon. There may be an upside here though...2 weeks without booze and you might just solve world hunger and the climate crisis. Be well, and Happy New Year Simon to you and yours.
                    Michael Richards

Comment

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the thought.

Happy New Year.

Simon
                      Get well soon Simon.

Is the ‘no drinking’ rule Doctors orders or a punishment because the initial injury was drink related?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Is there list or web page somewhere that names those who reported on the murders at the time?

I know there's an archive of newspaper reports from the time but I'm after the names of those who wrote the reports if they're known and who they worked for. I'm interested as they would've been the next most familiar with the scenes of crime after the police and witnesses.

Comment

Working...
                        X