Mitre Square Plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square Plaque

Seen this posted on Facebook, can anyone verify if it is placed in Mitre Square and if so which part?

I saw a glancing photo the other day,and I believe it is in the Square and by the site of the murder.

Comment

Have similar plaques been erected at or near the other murder sites, where possible, or does anyone know if this intended if not already done?
      Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Very poor and badly written. ".....victim of the notorious murders, more commonly known as 'Jack the Ripper' "
        ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Why has It taken so long to acknowledge Catherine in Mitre Square? Very odd indeed always papered over the cracks in the east end streets so to speak with regards the ripper-also as stated not a precise or fitting bit of writing regarding Catherine
          Strange indeed

Comment

Went by this yesterday and it is indeed in Mitre Square. It's part of a bigger information board a few metres from the spot Catherine's body was found. The main part of the board gives a history of what used to be on the site in previous centuries. The bit about Catherine is in the bottom right corner.

Comment

It's on the wall of the School compound, a little way from the murder site, a short distance to its right is the plaque for the priory of the Holy Trinity, not sure why it's taken so long to get this information up but at least it's finally there, I suppose palms had to be greased before the local council would get on with it, it's the best part of the square as the rest of it is a total disaster, I think the Architects were drunk when they designed the monstrosity that's there now!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                Have similar plaques been erected at or near the other murder sites, where possible, or does anyone know if this intended if not already done?
                Repeating my question.

I will be visiting England in August and intend visiting the JtR sites and should like to know if the other victims have been similarly acknowledged.
                Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post

Repeating my question.

I will be visiting England in August and intend visiting the JtR sites and should like to know if the other victims have been similarly acknowledged.
                  The answer is no. Unfortunately. Not much to look at nowadays. What was left of Dorset street has now been built over and you cant access the bucks row (Dunward street) because of cross rail. Hanbury Street is still there, though all the buildings are long gone, same with Bener Street (now Henriques Street). Mitre square, though completely redeveloped is still as was in terms of layout. If you want an idea of how things used to look, take a walk along Fornier opposite Christ Church. Some excellent examples of 18/19th Century silk weavers houses along there. Its about as authentic as you can get these days. If you take a tour, make sure it is a reputable one!

Have fun!

Tristan
                  Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

The answer is no. Unfortunately. Not much to look at nowadays. What was left of Dorset street has now been built over and you cant access the bucks row (Dunward street) because of cross rail. Hanbury Street is still there, though all the buildings are long gone, same with Bener Street (now Henriques Street). Mitre square, though completely redeveloped is still as was in terms of layout. If you want an idea of how things used to look, take a walk along Fornier opposite Christ Church. Some excellent examples of 18/19th Century silk weavers houses along there. Its about as authentic as you can get these days. If you take a tour, make sure it is a reputable one!

Have fun!

Tristan
                    Thanks, Tristan. That is most helpful.

Comment

If you don't mind my asking Enigma, where are you coming here from?
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                        If you don't mind my asking Enigma, where are you coming here from?
                        I don't mind you asking at all. I am coming from Australia.

I visited Mitre Square back in the 1980s, but no other sites. It was winter and was snowing hard that day which restricted sightseeing so I didn't linger. As it was I was saturated by the time I got back to the Tube station.

Comment

Was there on Tuesday 11th February 2020, took this photograph of the scene. Whole area has been redeveloped since last time I was there. Don’t recall seeing any plaques on either occasion. In fact on Tuesday I couldn’t even see a sign for Mitre Square!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                            Was there on Tuesday 11th February 2020, took this photograph of the scene. Whole area has been redeveloped since last time I was there. Don’t recall seeing any plaques on either occasion. In fact on Tuesday I couldn’t even see a sign for Mitre Square!!
                            The gate with the arch feature in the background is where in 1888 the entrance was to a short open passageway went through to Leadenhall Street.

It's possible the killer could have used it to circumnavigate around PC Watkins as he rounded the corner into Mitre Street.

Comment

Working...
                            X