Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Parcel

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Once that is answered, one looks for confirmatory evidence--like the "Arbeter Fraint's" size. That's hypothetico-deductive procedure. Of course, the initial hypothesis was Tom Wescott's.

Cheers.
    LC
    Hi Lynn,

The IWMEC & the Arbeter Fraint office were on P.c. Smith's beat. He would surely be familiar with both the premises and the publication. Why would he describe a bundle of copies of the Arbeter Fraint as "a newspaper parcel", rather than what he knew it to be? The only tentative deduction I would make from the description of the parcel is that it was relatively flat - because only two measurements are given ("about 18 in. in length and about 6 in. or 8 in. in width").

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

description

Hello Colin. Thanks. The "Arbeter Fraint" is, and looks like, a newspaper. Hence, the description.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        Hello again,

Jon, the parcel that was described was roughly the size of the paper that was printed in Dutfields Yard, and since there was a printing press in Dutfields Yard,
        ....and since it was closed at that hour, and had been since 2.00 pm in the afternoon, what is the connection between a newspaper parcel carried in the street and the long-closed printing office?

As all the members were thoroughly interrogated and no-one came forward to exonerate himself as PC Smith's innocent 'suspect', there isn't a good case for the theory. I admit, it is a possibility, but I would have thought only a slender one.

Yes, I do recall Tom saying the parcel was "roughly" the same size - roughly?
        More to do with the standard size of print paper than anything else. Let me put it this way Michael, when print paper comes in specific sizes, as it does today, how can we use the size as evidence?

Regards, Jon S.
        Last edited by Wickerman; 08-12-2012, 10:12 PM.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Someone at home.

Hello Jon. Of course Jacob Rombro (AKA, Philip Kranz) was in that office as the murder was committed.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hello Jon. Of course Jacob Rombro (AKA, Philip Kranz) was in that office as the murder was committed.
            Thanks Lynn, I had noticed that on the face of it this claim may contest the statement of Wess, who said it was all closed up. Wess was afterall the overseer of the printing office.
            Krantz did live at 40 Berner St., but he doesn't say he was at work in his office. Only that he was in "my room", presumably where he was sleeping?

Regards, Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Did the Arbeter Fraint, being a newspaper, ever print anything about this murder?

Comment

work

Hello Jon. Thanks. Did he not claim to have worked late on the paper?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

A F

Hello Barbara. Try here.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hello Barbara. Try here.

Cheers.
                    LC

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=6489
                    Oh, struck gold!

Thank you. Will take me a while to digest this, but it's wonderful to read an account from the time and place it happened at.

Comment

You are welcome.

Hello Barbara. The pleasure is all mine.

Enjoy!

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello Barbara. The pleasure is all mine.

Enjoy!

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Well worth the read. Did you translate this? Thank you for the reference. Really puts you at the scene.

Comment

translator

Hello Barbara. Thanks. The translator was Dr. Anita Turtletaub.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Hello Jon. Thanks. Did he not claim to have worked late on the paper?

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Hi Lynn.
                            Ahh,...your Arbeter Fraint article?
                            (by the way, was this paper free?)

Ok, so we have contention between two Inquest witnesses (Wess & Krantz).

So, what was the printing office doing printing off a stack of papers? on Saturday night?
                            Isn't Saturday the Jewish day of rest?

And second, was Mr Deerstalker delivering them?
                            At 12:30 am, on a Sunday morning?
                            Really?

I'm still looking for a viable connection.

Regards, Jon S.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Pst, Hey buddy, want an "Arbeter Fraint"?

Hello Jon. Thanks.

"Ahh,...your Arbeter Fraint article?
                              (by the way, was this paper free?)"

It was provided by Chris Phillips from YIVO. Translation runs between $200-$300 (USD) per page. Article was part of 3 pp.

"Ok, so we have contention between two Inquest witnesses (Wess & Krantz)."

Perhaps.

"So, what was the printing office doing printing off a stack of papers? on Saturday night?"

If I recall properly, Rombro (Kranz) was getting caught up with work.

"Isn't Saturday the Jewish day of rest?"

It is indeed. Question: How many of the club members adhered to Orthodox Judaism? Another question: What had club members done for Yom Kippur that infuriated Orthodox Anglo-Jewry?

"And second, was Mr Deerstalker delivering them?"

I find that quite likely, although some were given copies to take with them for distribution amongst friends. (Think Jehovah's Witnesses and the "Watchtower.")

"At 12:30 am, on a Sunday morning?"

To get to the appropriate news stands? I think that is often an early morning activity. (But see above.)

"Really?"

Indeed.

"I'm still looking for a viable connection."

From where I sit, quite viable.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                I think so, but, to me, more than anything, they indicate that she was meeting someone - someone for whom it was important to have fresh breath. She didn't have much money, but had spent a little of what she had on breath fresheners. She had them in her hand, so had either just met the person concerned or anticipated doing so at any moment. My $64,000 question would be:

Who was she so anxious to impress - and what happened to him?

Regards, Bridewell.
                                Hi Bridewell,

Well youve hit upon my choice for why she was there, as she was,... boot length skirt, Bonnet, cashous for the breath and a maidenfern on her breast.

Curiously just after PC Smith leaves we have a club member stating he was returning to the club at 12:40am and entering via the gates. He doesnt say why he was returning, just that he had dropped off a date he had for the meeting. Do men ever "date" 2 women in the same night...one, perhaps for appearance and one later for... lets say, adventure?

I find it interesting that Eagle states that he was queasy at the sight of blood, yet he also states he ran "pell-mell" down the stairs when someone came in to tell of the body found at the gates. Did he leave his 2nd date in the passageway for a moment when he ran in to perhaps pick up his pay for speaking that night?

Maybe someone disliked her coziness with the member and told her to get lost and leave him be. Maybe she said no. Maybe someone didnt know she was with a member and incorrectly assumed she was a spy. Maybe she turned down a rough type in a demeaning way. Any or all of those might explain the physical evidence.

And Lynn did us all a terrific favor by getting those papers translated on his own nickel and making them freely available to study with.

Best regards,

Michael
                                Last edited by Michael W Richards; 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM.
                                Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X