Jack in the City.....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack in the City.....................

Just tinkering around with a little project and would be interested to hear other forum users opinion....................

Catherine EDDOWES arrested near Aldergate Pump by PC ROBINSON and taken to Bishopsgate Police Station (10 minute walk)

PC881 Edward WATKINS of Bishopsgate Police Stations finds her body in Mitre Square. (8 minute walk from station).

Using these three locations as a basic reference points, would I be right in believing that there is a high likelihood that an Officer attending at an incident at the Black Raven Pub at 185-187 Bishopsgate Street (4 minute walk), the the Railway Tavern at 15 Liverpool Street (4 minute walk), the Sir John Falstaff public house 45-46 Houndsditch (5 minute walk) and Cutler Street (4 minute walk) would have also been stationed at Bishopsgate Police Station?

Further to my last according to the census this Bobby lived at the following addresses...

England Census 1871. 11 New Union Street, St. Giles Without Cripplegate. [City Police Officer].
    England Census 1881. 31 Huntingdon Buildings, Bethnal Green. [City Police Constable].
    England Census 1891. 8 Kings Block, St Botolph Aldgate. [Policeman].

I believe that's pretty much conclusive proof, that he would have been stationed at Bishopsgate Police Station.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by The Station Cat; 07-15-2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Note how close the King's Block (red circle) address is to Mitre Square (blue circle).
      Attached Files

Comment

Police followed sounds of suspect's footsteps to Kings Block where they lost the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          Police followed sounds of suspect's footsteps to Kings Block where they lost the trail.

That's very interesting Scott thanks for sharing it with us.

Here's a link if anyone is interested in reading more https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...llwriting.html
          Last edited by The Station Cat; 07-16-2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

In the linked article, you will not a photograph taken in 1912 which shows King's Block, it's not a very big picture.

Found this photo (King's Block on the left) and then made this which I thought this might also be of interest?

Click image for larger version  Name:	King's Block c1880.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	716525

Click image for larger version  Name:	King's Block c1880 map photo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.4 KB ID:	716523

Click image for larger version  Name:	King's Block c1880 map photo 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	259.3 KB ID:	716524

Comment

Working...
            X