Miller's Court... with Laundry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller's Court... with Laundry!

Does anyone have a copy of the Miller's Court sketch that shows the other side of the Court.
    It is a contemporary line drawing from a newspaper, and shows the court as if the artist was standing in the passage from Dorset Street, and in it there are people standing, and laundry/flags hanging from the windows. I have been looking for ages, and I can't seem to place it in my own collections.
    Thanks

Hi Dr H
    the only bell this rings with me is not a line drawing but a photo.
    This appeared in Andy and Sue Parlour's book and is alleged to be a pic of Millers Court. It shows both sides of the court with people in the middle distance and washing lines with laundry strung across the court.
    It is in the Photo Archive on Caasebook at

Hope this helps

Comment

I think you might be referring to the first pic here...

Comment

The drainpipes don't go all the way up.

Comment

Thanks Nemo, allow me to buy you a drink sometime!
          I had a hard drive crash a while back that took out all my photographs, and am just trying to replace some of them.
          Always thought that this was in interesting picture, as we never see that end of the court.

Comment

No problem Dr

I'm especially glad to help as a similar episode happened to me recently

If the drainpipes are accurate it might suggest a flattish roof with a lip on it

PS Wasn't Rob Clack or someone able to say that the photo Chris has linked to is not Miller'Court because the buildings viewable in the distance are not correct? I might be thinking of a different street scene
            Last edited by Nemo; 05-10-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
              No problem Dr

I'm especially glad to help as a similar episode happened to me recently

If the drainpipes are accurate it might suggest a flattish roof with a lip on it

PS Wasn't Rob Clack or someone able to say that the photo Chris has linked to is not Miller'Court because the buildings viewable in the distance are not correct? I might be thinking of a different street scene
              That and now that I've seen a Goad map from the 1920s the buildings on the left are three storeyed and Millers Court were always two.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob

Seems obvious now that you mention it, I always considered Millers Court as being 2 storeys high

Comment

that photo of the millers court destruction would be a perfect one to answer this issue.

Comment

Trying to Date the "People & Laundry In A Narrow Court" Photo

Thanks for the info Rob.

I was looking at the purported Miller's Court photo just last week, and trying to figure out if I could date it from the women's hair and clothing. The woman on the right is wearing a fairly short skirt with a short-sleeved tunic-like top over it, and the woman sticking her head out the door has short hair.

Fashions in the poor sections of London would have evolved more slowly than in the wealthier areas. Working class men's fashions changed even more slowly, and unfortunately the details of their outfits can't be seen in this photo, so they aren't much help.

From the details that can be seen, my guess is that the photo was taken in the very late 20's to early 30's, and might actually post-date the demolition of Miller's Court.

Best regards,
                    Archaic

Comment

Early to mid thirties I would say Bun, may have been part of a slum clearance program.

Rob

Comment

that photo of the millers court destruction would be a perfect one to answer this issue

Hi Jason

Both the Goad map and the Dorset Street destruction photo confirm Millers Court as two stories...not to mention testimony re the enquiry held about the school...I'm afraid it's not an issue but a fact...

Dave

Comment

The sketch originally asked for appears to be the top corner of The Penny Illustrated Paper issue of November 17, 1888.

Meanwhile, if someone working on a book wants to guarantee a purchase, they should see if they can acquire for it a good quality blow-up of what remains of Miller's Court in the demolition photo. I don't even care if the book will be advocating Van Gogh or Toulouse-Lautrec..

Comment

Working...
                          X