Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Hanbury Street ?

Hi,

I found this photo on tinternet ( Peter Kay gag ).....it says it is the yard of 29 but i had never seen this before, especially from this angle. Can anyone confirm its authenticity .

regards

oops ...would help if i attached it !!
    Attached Files

Comment

i had another look at the James Mason clip from the yard and it appears it may be but i think it predates that film by some time. I am basing that remark on the lack of vegetation near the fence in the film ( but evident in the photo ). If genuine, when was this photo taken ? the yard hasnt changed much so could be due the season being different when the picture was taken.

Comment

Hi Jason

This is indeed the far left corner of the back yard of 29.

I have seen a photo taken in 1964 by Robin Odell which is taken from exactly the same spot. The only difference is, your photo has more debris, otherwise, they are identical.

Can't really put a date to it, though, but I reckon we're looking at the 1960s.

Regards
        John

Comment

this photo is pretty clear in quality.....those plants on the left are not there in the James Mason video, if they are then they are covered in rubbish from the yard. Great photo though !

Comment

Yes.. Thats the corner where the "Woodshed" was located. Wich was probably made of brick wich seems to have been the dominant material used for most small buildings and outhouses in that area.

Comment

think you mean this one ?
              Attached Files

Comment

the top one appears to definitely post date the one by Odell ( 1965 ), judging by the plants and overall tidier look.

Comment

the still from the James Mason film of the yard area for comparison
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                    think you mean this one ?
                    The very same!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                      The very same!
                      hi Joh, do you agree with myself that the first one is later than Odells photo ?.....btw, did the police photograph the yard in 1888 ? and is that metal fenced area at the back a possible exit for the murderer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                        hi Joh, do you agree with myself that the first one is later than Odells photo ?.....btw, did the police photograph the yard in 1888 ? and is that metal fenced area at the back a possible exit for the murderer ?
                        I think so. It looks a lot untidier and (guessing here) may have been taken nearer the time of demolition in 1970.

As far as I know, there was no photo of the yard taken in 1888 and also, behind that metal gate lies the wall of the brewery. Any escape route would have been over a fence, in any case (or the front door).

JB

Comment

cheers John.....sound like the front door was a far easier option !

Comment

Working...
                          X