"A Slum Interior in Miller's Court"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Slum Interior in Miller's Court"

Many of the images in the famous Mary Evans Picture Library are available to be ordered on line as prints.
    One of these intrigued me. It is a line drawing of an interior view and the caption reads as follows:-
    SLUM SCENES WHITECHAPEL
    A slum interior in Miller's Court, Whitechapel

My question is twofold:
    1) Does anyone know the source of this image?
    2) Does anyone know the date of this image?

For obvious copyright reasons I am not posting the image here but you can see it at
    A slum interior in Millers Court, Whitechapel. Our beautiful Wall Art and Photo Gifts include Framed Prints, Photo Prints, Poster Prints, Canvas Prints, Jigsaw Puzzles, Metal Prints and so much more #MediaStorehouse

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Many of the images in the famous Mary Evans Picture Library are available to be ordered on line as prints.
    One of these intrigued me. It is a line drawing of an interior view and the caption reads as follows:-
    SLUM SCENES WHITECHAPEL
    A slum interior in Miller's Court, Whitechapel

My question is twofold:
    1) Does anyone know the source of this image?
    2) Does anyone know the date of this image?

For obvious copyright reasons I am not posting the image here but you can see it at
    http://www.prints-online.com/slum_sc...t/4342827.html

The source is evidently the Illustrated London News, but I don't know the date. Maybe an email to Mary Evans?
    Paul

Comment

Hello Chris. There is a cat in the bottom left of the picture so perhaps this could depict Elizabeth Prater's room in Millers Court. The man could be her husband, William Prater, although he had deserted her five years previously. It could be the sailor she was living with in 1892.
      I developed these amazing observational skills by watching re-runs of ,'Through the Keyhole'-"Over to you Lloyd"

Comment

The illustration looks as if it could be from Walter Besant's book on the East End published in 1908.
        I have a copy of it, but it is at the moment in storage, I cant get to it till next weekend, I will get it out and post the interesting bits.

Miss Marple

Comment

Tucked away lower right on the link I gave is a list a of keywords associated with this image:-
          Tags
          1891 • 19th • britain • candle • century • court • historical • history • interior • miller's • scenes • slum • social • whitechapel

This would seem to imply that the Illustrated Londond News image of Miller's Court is from 1891.

Comment

I've been trying to work out what the two people are doing. Twisting wire to make whisks & fly-swatters perhaps?

I'm also hoping the Impressionists don't read anything into the shadow cast by the female figure

Regards, Bridewell.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Chris

The print is also available through Amazon where it is stated:

Image Description: A slum interior in Millers Court, Whitechapel Date 1891
              For any queries regarding this item please contact Mary Evans c/o Media Storehouse quoting Media Reference 4342827

The scene is even available on a mug from Amazon.

Chris
              Christopher T. George
              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback
                I have had a trawl through the ILN archive for 1891 onwards using the serahc words slum, interior and Whitechapel in various combinations but haven't found anything so far.
                I'd like to get a look at the original in the ILN to confirm the date and also that it specifically says it is Millers Court and not just a Whitechapel slum interior.

Comment

If this is a genuine sketch done in Millers Court then I would suggest that it could only be either Kelly's room ie #13 or the room directly above ie #19. The clue is in the unusual window in the background which seems to match the left hand ones on the photo and a couple of drawings and can be seen to have no less than 20 single panes of glass. I doubt that such elaborate windows would have been present in the houses in the rest of the court.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Chris,

It is from the Saturday 10 January 1891 issue

Click image for larger version

Name:	ILN 10 January 1891 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	663820

Name:	ILN 10 January 1891 02.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	663821

Rob

Comment

many thanks
                      Rob to the rescue again:-)
                      That is a much clearer image of it and it clearly says Millers Court - I wonder which house/room it was sketched in
                      Thanks Rob
                      Chris

Ive redone it in grayscale - sometimes helps with detail
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chris Scott; 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

So are we looking for a Millers Court resident, who had a cat?
                        :-)
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

H Chris,

Going by the article which accompanied the illustration I believe the couple are William and Mary A Harrison who lived at 12 Millers Court in the 1891 census. If that's the case then it's the same room Kitty Roman was murdered in 1909.

The details are:
                          William Harrison age 65 Wire worker born Lambeth
                          Mary A Harrison age 65 born either Cornwall or Camberwell, it's not clear on the census return.

This is the article:

Name:	ILN 10 January 1891 text 01.jpg
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	663823

Name:	ILN 10 January 1891 text 02.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	663824

Rob

Comment

Rob
                            Having had a look at the census listing for Millers Court for 1891 I am sure you are right. Both were 65 and wire worker would fit in precisely with the description and the drawing
                            Thanks
                            Chris

Comment

Didn't No. 12 (upstairs?) overlook Kelly's room from across the yard?
                              Somehow I envisaged this end unit as being where Catherine Pickell lived (in 1888), upstairs or down I'm not sure.
                              It does seem like Rob has the ID spot on here.

Thanks, Jon S.
                              Last edited by Wickerman; 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                              X