Looking for photos of Mitre Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for photos of Mitre Street

Has anyone found any Victorian or early 20th Century photos of Mitre Street, not the Square but the Street. I've seen many old photos of the actual square, but I'm curious about the street view of the houses and stores at that site.

I've been digging through the lengthy thread that features old East End photos, but it is much too cumbersome. If anyone can recollect any photos and point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

There is one of Mitre Square taken Mitre Street in "The London of JtR" (p 117), but it's not really what you're looking for, I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
      Has anyone found any Victorian or early 20th Century photos of Mitre Street, not the Square but the Street.
      http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4921/9321.html has a view of the entrance to the square from Mitre St, but I'm afraid it doesn't show much.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=61&page=245 has some very detailed period views of Aldgate St, some of which show the intersection with Mitre St. If you're just wanting an idea of what Mitre St would have looked like in general, I suspect that Aldgate was quite similar.

-Ginger
      - Ginger

Comment

Hey Drummond,

1st image is of the street around 1974, it shows Williams & Co.

2nd image is an 1893 Chatterbox image which shows the north end of the street.

Monty
        Attached Files
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

That's Barnett and Ann Levy's orange stall on the left. I'm almost sure of it.

Comment

I'm intrigued by the early (1964?) red Ford Corsair. Did it have an owner who polished the front near-side door, but not the rest of his car, or is it the worst respray in history?

Sorry. off topic. I'll chastise myself severely.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Scott

Is that the same Ann Levy who lived at 29 Mitre Street with Hyam Hyams and family in 1851/61? (It would be Fanny's mother)

Tracy
              It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

One and the same. Barnett died sometime before 1840, after which Ann is listed as an orange dealer up to the late 1870s.

Comment

Thanks for that - I have never really looked into that side of the family so always good to know.

Tracy
                  It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    I'm intrigued by the early (1964?) red Ford Corsair. Did it have an owner who polished the front near-side door, but not the rest of his car, or is it the worst respray in history?

Sorry. off topic. I'll chastise myself severely.
                    It's also unusual to see a car with its own personal parking meter growing out of its roof.

Great illustrations, Monty. Thanks.

Cheers

Chris
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I think what must have happened is that the workmen hired to spray the van were also asked to do the car behind, but after doing one door they ran out of paint.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bridewell;207573]I'm intrigued by the early (1964?) red Ford Corsair. Did it have an owner who polished the front near-side door, but not the rest of his car, or is it the worst respray in history?

A good polish with some T-Cut would have made the job complete.

Rgds
                        John

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone .

On the northeast side of Mitre Street, there is currently an older looking building (seen on google street view) which I thought might have been there at the time of the killings. Unfortunately, it looks a bit different from the structure pictured the chatterbox sketch posted upthread. I'll look at street view again and see if the buildings measure up.

The building I was curious about is called Mitre House no 12-14. It can be seen at the far end of Mitre St. in the 1974 photo. It has 4 floors and is fancier looking than the 3 floor structure in the sketch. It has been cleaned up and restored since the 1974 photo revealing yellow brick underneath the grime.
                          Last edited by DrummondStreet; 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM. Reason: Updated information.

Comment

Hi Drummond

Comment

Thanks Robert.

I read the brochure and unfortunately it didn't provide any info on when the structure was built.

There is a beautiful red brick building directly across from Mitre House on the corner of Mitre and Creechurch that went up a couple years after the Eddowes murder. I can't seem to find any info on when the other buildings on Mitre were built.

Does anyone know if any of the current buildings on Mitre Street where there in 1888? There should be some sort of building and planning committee for London that has records of all of the construction that has taken place over the centuries or at least the last century.

Comment

Working...
                              X