No announcement yet.

Goad fire insurance maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the method I was using Rusteze. Chris's georefrencing page could have and will be a big help. I have about 170 residences processed in 1881 and 1891 census returns. I could not have proceeded without the maps. I even went so far as to pester Berkeley University as they hold the entire collection sans section H. Truth be told, their map reference librarian hipped me to the link, all I did was pass it on to people who could use it. Hopefully, if the degeneration of my cognitive function stays linear, in a year we will have about 40% of the area bounded by the canonical recovery sites in both census years. Glad you kids find it useful. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Thanks, Rusteze. I saw your instructions upthread and it really helped me navigate the maps. I had been clicking on each small section w/ no clue as to where I was --so tedious and frustrating. Your instructions really helped.

Comment

Do yourself a favor DrummondStreet and get the keys first. Then use those to identify which sheet you need. It helps to embed the link to the key in the overlay description so when you need to return for the sheet you do not have to wade through again. Don't give up, I have been through the entire list twice. Dave

Comment

Protohistorian: Thanks.

Also ....have you noticed that some neighborhoods are missing? Using the Google overlay, I tried to find my old neighborhood in West Kensington/Hammersmith and it wasn't there, but adjacent patches were. Many sections of JtR's territory and in central London were missing, too.

Comment

I do not think every area was surveyed. I can imagine at some point the cost of survey and mapping exceeded the relative value of the structures. This would be a good line of investigation. Under what charter or mandate did Goad operate, and what were the criteria for inclusion. I think he was already in this line of work in Canada before returning to the U.K. to do the same type of work there. He was a civil engineer by trade so I would start with inquiring with the professional association dealing with that trade in the U.K. Dave

Comment

The maps are of the main business areas. Most residential areas are not covered. The Liverpool Street are was covered but it isn't on any of these maps.

Comment

Thanks Lechmere!

Comment

I've printed off a copy of sheet 319, vol. XI, showing the area within Wentworth Street/Osborne Street/Whitechapel High Street/Commercial Street, but the details are rather blurred. I want to be able to read the street numbers. Any suggestions as to how I can prove the image? Or can I buy copies from the BM?

Would be grateful for any help.

Cheers.

MrB
                  Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-14-2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I have images of all the east end sheets - I'll check if I have that one

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                      I have images of all the east end sheets - I'll check if I have that one
                      Thanks, Ed. In particular I'm trying to work out where no. 55 was. On the north side I think.

MrB

Comment

55 of what road?

Comment

Wentworth Street, sorry.

Comment

I think you must mean 55 Wentworth Street as that is the only 55 around that sheet.
                            It was on the northern side, but actually just off the map on sheet 316. It would have been on the west corner of George Street and Wentworth Street.
                            57 (Carpenter's Arms) was on the east corner of George Street and Wentworth Street.

Interestingly (for some maybe) the City of Norwich was at 61 Wentworth Street - landlord Frederick Gehringer.

Comment

[ATTACH]16105[/ATTACH]

Comment

Actually I think it was a door down from the corner.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	wentworth st 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	665582

That building was a warehouse.
                                The building to the right if it may have been divided in two, so 55 may have actually been the left hand half of the building on the corner.
                                Last edited by Lechmere; 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X