Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goad fire insurance maps

Greetings ,

I am very new to this forum but I am fascinated by the sections of the London Goad maps that a few of you have posted. Is the British Library the only source of these maps? If not, where can I find them? I live across the pond (Midwestern US), so hopefully the British Library will make their entire Goad map collection available for online viewing at some point in time.

To those of you who have posted the sections of the maps that pertain to the murder sites, do you have more expansive scans on hand? I'm trying to visualize precisely where the murders occurred using extant Victorian structures as markers, but some of these buildings are cropped from the smaller maps.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Drummond.

Hopefully this will help.

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Cheers

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thank you, what I deduced from the thread is that the posted scans are from private collections owned by forum members. It sounds like a difficult and very expensive way to view the maps, but hats off to the dedicated collectors. (My own collection consists of reproductions of Bacon's maps of London. I know that reproductions aren't in the same league as vintage copies, but I love them all the same.)

Has anyone visited the British Library to view their comprehensive Goad map collection?

Comment

Thread On Goad Maps

Hi Drummond.

You might be interested in this earlier thread on the subject of Goad Maps: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5959

Best regards,
        Archaic

Comment

The British library has recently put their collections online and already geo-referenced. You should download the keys to find which sheets you need. This collection is for the whole of England, the link i provided is in the London section already.http://goo.gl/iq8EE0
          We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Hi ProtoH,

I'm amazed there hasn't been a single response to your post. The Goad Maps are a brilliant resource, and having them available online is a major milestone.

Thanks for letting us know.

MrB
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
              I'm amazed there hasn't been a single response to your post. The Goad Maps are a brilliant resource, and having them available online is a major milestone.
              Yes - thanks to protohistorian for letting us known about a very useful resource.

If only the British Library had made it a bit easier to find the plans relating to particular parts of London (and someone should tell them that Yorkshire is not in the South-East of England ...).

Comment

I went to the link and couldn't figure out how to find a map of a particular area. How do you do it?

Rob H

Comment

Yes it is a very good resource.
                  I saved the link when protohistorian put it up!

I have photos of virtually all the sheets from the East End already, but this included other areas of interest.

It isn’t well indexed though. I waded through the entire list for London.
                  There are index pages every so often with maps showing where the more detailed maps are located.
                  One example is labelled Volume IV Key Plan. Volume IV being the area along the Thames, south of the river near London Bridge Station. Volume IV is then split into individual maps – map 80 being just to the east of where the actual London Bridge reaches the south bank.
                  As another example, Volume II is the area in the City either side of Farringdon Road and is divided up into over 20 individually numbered sheets.
                  The Key Plans are usually before the individual maps that feature within it, but some are mixed up a bit.
                  I was looking for the area around Liverpool Street and I think that area is missing from this archive.

Comment

On which map does Lawende's water closet appear?

Comment

There is a very easy way of finding the map you want. Go to the georeferencing page (click the link below). You can zoom right in on the map for "insurance maps" and click whichever red dot coincides with the area of London (or elsewhere) you are interested in. Details of the individual map will come up. Just click on "Online Gallery" option and it takes you straight there.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rusteze View Post
                        There is a very easy way of finding the map you want. Go to the georeferencing page (click the link below). You can zoom right in on the map for "insurance maps" and click whichever red dot coincides with the area of London (or elsewhere) you are interested in. Details of the individual map will come up. Just click on "Online Gallery" option and it takes you straight there.

Thanks - it's easy when you know how!

Comment

Via that link you can look at the maps overlaid on a modern map - which is good.
                          But Liverpool Street is a gap - apart from the very northern bit of it for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                            The British library has recently put their collections online and already geo-referenced. You should download the keys to find which sheets you need. This collection is for the whole of England, the link i provided is in the London section already.http://goo.gl/iq8EE0

Thanks, Proto, for the update. I've been waiting >2 years for the British Library to put these online. I'm going straight to the site from here.

Thank you again Proto.

Comment

Another very useful feature lets you download the Goad map you want onto your own Google Earth.

Just click on "Open KML in Google Earth" on the BL page and it will appear in the "temporary places" on your own Google Earth list. Drag it up into the permanent places to keep it.

Then, whenever you open Google Earth it will be there - no need to go back to the BL site. You can adjust the opacity of the overlay map to see the modern map or satellite view beneath.

Excellent stuff !

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X