Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protohistorian
    replied
    I do not think every area was surveyed. I can imagine at some point the cost of survey and mapping exceeded the relative value of the structures. This would be a good line of investigation. Under what charter or mandate did Goad operate, and what were the criteria for inclusion. I think he was already in this line of work in Canada before returning to the U.K. to do the same type of work there. He was a civil engineer by trade so I would start with inquiring with the professional association dealing with that trade in the U.K. Dave

Leave a comment:

• DrummondStreet
    replied
    Protohistorian: Thanks.

Also ....have you noticed that some neighborhoods are missing? Using the Google overlay, I tried to find my old neighborhood in West Kensington/Hammersmith and it wasn't there, but adjacent patches were. Many sections of JtR's territory and in central London were missing, too.

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Do yourself a favor DrummondStreet and get the keys first. Then use those to identify which sheet you need. It helps to embed the link to the key in the overlay description so when you need to return for the sheet you do not have to wade through again. Don't give up, I have been through the entire list twice. Dave

Leave a comment:

• DrummondStreet
    replied
    Thanks, Rusteze. I saw your instructions upthread and it really helped me navigate the maps. I had been clicking on each small section w/ no clue as to where I was --so tedious and frustrating. Your instructions really helped.

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    That is the method I was using Rusteze. Chris's georefrencing page could have and will be a big help. I have about 170 residences processed in 1881 and 1891 census returns. I could not have proceeded without the maps. I even went so far as to pester Berkeley University as they hold the entire collection sans section H. Truth be told, their map reference librarian hipped me to the link, all I did was pass it on to people who could use it. Hopefully, if the degeneration of my cognitive function stays linear, in a year we will have about 40% of the area bounded by the canonical recovery sites in both census years. Glad you kids find it useful. Dave

Leave a comment:

• Rusteze
    replied
    Another very useful feature lets you download the Goad map you want onto your own Google Earth.

Just click on "Open KML in Google Earth" on the BL page and it will appear in the "temporary places" on your own Google Earth list. Drag it up into the permanent places to keep it.

Then, whenever you open Google Earth it will be there - no need to go back to the BL site. You can adjust the opacity of the overlay map to see the modern map or satellite view beneath.

Excellent stuff !

Steve

Leave a comment:

• DrummondStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
    The British library has recently put their collections online and already geo-referenced. You should download the keys to find which sheets you need. This collection is for the whole of England, the link i provided is in the London section already.http://goo.gl/iq8EE0

Thanks, Proto, for the update. I've been waiting >2 years for the British Library to put these online. I'm going straight to the site from here.

Thank you again Proto.

Leave a comment:

• Lechmere
    replied
    Via that link you can look at the maps overlaid on a modern map - which is good.
    But Liverpool Street is a gap - apart from the very northern bit of it for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by Rusteze View Post
    There is a very easy way of finding the map you want. Go to the georeferencing page (click the link below). You can zoom right in on the map for "insurance maps" and click whichever red dot coincides with the area of London (or elsewhere) you are interested in. Details of the individual map will come up. Just click on "Online Gallery" option and it takes you straight there.

Thanks - it's easy when you know how!

Leave a comment:

• Rusteze
    replied
    There is a very easy way of finding the map you want. Go to the georeferencing page (click the link below). You can zoom right in on the map for "insurance maps" and click whichever red dot coincides with the area of London (or elsewhere) you are interested in. Details of the individual map will come up. Just click on "Online Gallery" option and it takes you straight there.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    On which map does Lawende's water closet appear?

Leave a comment:

• Lechmere
    replied
    Yes it is a very good resource.
    I saved the link when protohistorian put it up!

I have photos of virtually all the sheets from the East End already, but this included other areas of interest.

It isn’t well indexed though. I waded through the entire list for London.
    There are index pages every so often with maps showing where the more detailed maps are located.
    One example is labelled Volume IV Key Plan. Volume IV being the area along the Thames, south of the river near London Bridge Station. Volume IV is then split into individual maps – map 80 being just to the east of where the actual London Bridge reaches the south bank.
    As another example, Volume II is the area in the City either side of Farringdon Road and is divided up into over 20 individually numbered sheets.
    The Key Plans are usually before the individual maps that feature within it, but some are mixed up a bit.
    I was looking for the area around Liverpool Street and I think that area is missing from this archive.

Leave a comment:

• robhouse
    replied
    I went to the link and couldn't figure out how to find a map of a particular area. How do you do it?

Rob H

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    I'm amazed there hasn't been a single response to your post. The Goad Maps are a brilliant resource, and having them available online is a major milestone.
    Yes - thanks to protohistorian for letting us known about a very useful resource.

If only the British Library had made it a bit easier to find the plans relating to particular parts of London (and someone should tell them that Yorkshire is not in the South-East of England ...).

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Hi ProtoH,

I'm amazed there hasn't been a single response to your post. The Goad Maps are a brilliant resource, and having them available online is a major milestone.

Thanks for letting us know.

MrB
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X