3D Walkthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Walkthrough

I have created a Google sketchup3D walkthrough of 1888 whitechapel based on official street maps of the time with the ripper crime scenes. It can be downloaded from Google warehouse - http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...10&prevstart=0

You will need Google Sketchup version 7 or 8 to view or modify the model Sketchup 8 is available free from google - http://sketchup.google.com/

This is a basic model . I plan to add more detail and hope to eventually produce a realistic 100% accurate reproduction of 1888 whitechapel. Any input, information or photos you may have or know of to help make the model more realistic would be a big help.

The model is fully editable so you can easily modify it. This model and all future versions will always be made available 100% free. I hope you find it useful.

Hopefully walking through the streets of 1888 whitechappel and visiting the crime scenes in a 3D will provide new insights and a better understanding of Jack The Ripper .

Nice CMTDH, I have the 1894 os map in google earth if that would help. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Well, CMTDH...

That's some first post. I believe Dave and others will be tremendous help. If it can be done in detail, that would be a monumental, but worthy undertaking.

Good luck and welcome.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Just as a heads up,

The upcoming documentary 'Jack the Ripper - The Definitive Story', which is due to be aired in the UK next month, will include some amazing 3D walkthroughs created by Jake Luukanen. I wont spoil by giving too much away but I do suggest if you can, watch it.

As a taster, he a some rough 3D Jakey did way back in 2007/8, along with some images he did for our article. His fayre for the doc will be much sharper.

Monty
        Attached Files
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Looks like I came to the right place. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their help. Hopefully before to long we can all have a good 3D model of whitechapel and walk the streets and view the crime scenes exactly as jack the ripper would have seen it.

@Dave, you betcha. A good map is a must. I have been working off an 1888 map but the quality is not that good especially for trying to determine street level details or where alleys might be.

Also if anyone can provide any diagrams showing where everything in the crime scene should be placed and the exact position of the bodies or info on material so buildings and streets can be textured accurately that would be great too.

I know the sketchup model is a little primitive right now but once I am satisfied with the accuracy of a section adding a little texture and lighting will make a big difference. The model is intended to be an investigative tool so it and all future additions will be made freely available to anyone that wants it.

One area of concern I have are the bodies. Sooner or later for accuracy I will need to replace my "Crash test dummies" with the actual victims. That could get a little gory. I hate to shy away from the truth and sanitize it but to be accurate could be quite disturbing to some people. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

time values

Hello CMTDH. Excellent!

One suggestion that might help in the placements of people and events is that you might try inserting time values based on the testimony of various people connected with the event. (This would entail some difficulty as witnesses vary in that regard. Perhaps, a range of time values?)

This way, it would help us determine the veracity of some of the witnesses.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

CMTDH just shoot me a pm when you are ready for that map. Dave
              We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Working...
              X