Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plotting the 1888 Kelly Postal Directory

For Dave Gates,
    Thanks Dave for all your work over the past months concerning the true economic nature of Whitechapel at the end of the 1880"s and 1890"s is very valuable.So often we read of only the one view of Whitechapel as a place saturated in unremitting poverty .But there are chroniclers who lived at the time,who described the Whitechapel Road as one of the more prosperous and vibrant areas of London.Emile Zola lived there for a while ,in the 1890"s after he had been forced to flee from Paris after an article he had written about the Dreyfus affair.He described it as having wide,well lit streets,a good hospital,well stocked shops and market and quite well dressed people in its main streets at least.Zola doesnt deny that back streets and alleys existed where there was severe poverty and destitution but he says that when he compares even these parts of Whitechapel with parts of Paris from which he knows, ,his own city, Paris and even other parts of London such as Covent Garden and Holborn appear even more deprived with more of the desperately poor and the main Whitechapel streets which were wide,well lit, affluent and thriving .didnt compare at all.
    George Sims described the Whitechapel High Street in much the same way,especially on Saturdays and Sundays he said when attractive young Jewesses paraded in their fine clothes and the shops and street stalls sold exotic goods of all kinds.He called it his favourite street---the most vibrant,colourful street in London-and Sims was rich and lived in one of the beautiful regency houses around Regents Park.
    So your findings concur with their statements.
    Best,
    Norma

[QUOTE=Natalie Severn;151162]For Dave Gates,
    Emile Zola lived there for a while ,in the 1890"s after he had been forced to flee from Paris after an article he had written about the Dreyfus affair."

Hi Natalie,

Zola had written the famous "newspaper headline" essay, "J'Accuse" where he went over the "evidence" against Captain Alfred Dreyfus (such as the bordereau) and found all the defects and that the General Staff were scapegoating the Jewish - French Captain while shielding Major Waldin-Estherhazi, the actual traitor. Zola was tried for criminal libel, and although his defense seems sensible to us was found guilty. He fled to England in 1896.

It is a minor point, but I had to lecture on the Dreyfus Case once. The French title is usually translated "I Accuse". It was the title of at least one film on the case (a film starring Jose Ferrer as Dreyfus and Anton Waldbrook as Estherhazi) made in the 1950s.

Comment

hi Mayerling!

Thanks for this information on Dreyfus!I read a lot about it last year in one of Marcel Proust"s "Rememberances"! And then only last August ,Andy and me were having a meal of omelette and chips at a cafe at 2 Place de la Madeleine in Paris and I discovered it was the same cafe where Emile Zola wrote "J"Accuse"!It was amazing!
      Your lecture sounds fascinating,I would love to know more!I believe he was freed in the end Dreyfus and exonerated and awarded the Legion d"honeur......so it all ended reasonable well for him.But it should never have happened and wouldnt have happened but for the anti semitism that was rife .at the time
      Best
      Norma

Comment

Thanks Natalie. It was a seventy minute lecture I gave to my synagogue about seven years ago. That Dreyfus was exonerated to most people means little to a small number of anti-Semites who claim he was guilty. Zola eventually returned to France, but died in 1902 from asphyxiation (he was working on a novel and his chimney was blocked). Dreyfus was finally exonerated in 1906.

Jeff

Comment

animal keeping

I mentioned briefly in the paper that there were listings in support of keeping a living larder. If people were keeping and preparing animals as food in large scale, that effects how we view these crimes. It would be great to see another line of evidence brought to bear on this matter. Dave
          We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

directory totals

Here are the directory totals, the synthesis they gave rise to is in casebook examiner 4. Dave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by protohistorian; 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM. Reason: attachment

Comment

Thanks Dave,
              I am a little unsure about what you want to address.Is it just the economic issue? For example I would define an area"s prosperity by the access to educational opportunities offered to its inhabitants and the East End led the way in many respects in this regard.
              In 1888,the year of the Whitechapel murders,Toynbee Hall at the junction with Whitechapel High Street was providing regular lectures to working men and women in its beautiful hall modelled on those of Oxford colleges--and the hall continues that tradition to this day,still providing a very similar service of lectures, talks and meetings .But then not only lectures but training at their college courses was available, its objectives to "raise man to his highest in both body and soul". Alongside it was the "Free library" and the "Art Gallery" for all the citizens of the area. Not far along the same road was "The People"s Palace",now called 'The University of East London".talkswere given at Toynbee Hall over a wide range of topics such as ,"The Social Progress of Women During the Last Century" etc.
              During the week prior to Martha Tabram getting murdered in George Yard a group of 200 young working class women were attending Tuesday and Thursday Evening classes for a variety of subjects in George Yard.The beautiful Hawksmoor church of Christchurch Spitalfields which figured so prominently in the inquests on the JtR murders,opened its door to free concerts -the first being "Handel"s Messiah" to everyone and was filled to the rafters by a mostly working class audience who were very appreciative.
              Of the library it was called the finest and largest of its kind in England [I used to go and loan books from there up to just a few years ago [2007] and it really was a very fine library with lovely Victorian mosaic murals showing rustic scenes of the time.There were two such libraries close to one another-one in the Toynbee Hall complex and the one I refer to above alongside the Whitechapel Art Gallery.
              I will write more about this later....but sufficient to show a few of the services the local authority and Toybee Hall offered in 1888.

Norma
              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-18-2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Thanks Natalie. It was a seventy minute lecture I gave to my synagogue about seven years ago. That Dreyfus was exonerated to most people means little to a small number of anti-Semites who claim he was guilty. Zola eventually returned to France, but died in 1902 from asphyxiation (he was working on a novel and his chimney was blocked). Dreyfus was finally exonerated in 1906.

Jeff
                Thanks Jeff,
                How interesting,I would have loved to have gone to hear you speak on the subject!
                Norma

Comment

oil dealers

On a lovely Booth background. Is this heating oil? A couple are co located with "colour men". I understand these are paint makers. It speaks to the fact that everyone was not huudled in the dark and cold as many concieve. The reality of oil for lamps locally available points strongly to a local demand, as oil is a mobile commodity and the retail spaces in the district imply local consumption. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

bakers

ummm....bread! Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

beer retailers

Beer is cool. Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

coffee

Not as cool as beer, but a friend to insomniacs everywhere. Dave
                        Attached Files

Comment

confectioners

Who wants a chockie biscuit? Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

Drapers

From my understanding, specialized stores. Dave
                            Attached Files

Comment

fruit and veg

Salad anyone? Dave
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X