Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lodging houses

This is not comprehensive! The area is around the former Dorset street. I have the map toggled off to help illustrate the density.Dave
    Attached Files
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

poor jews

There is not much that I loathe more than the tired,oversimplified,and proven false concept of race, however this is a place of note in our story. Poor jews shelter in the bottom center of the image. Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

thrall and environs lh's

yeah, I guess thats alot of lodging houses! Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

I could not be this funny

The pin labeled 4 has two enterprises in it. One is a solicitor, and the other a saddler. Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

my new favorite place

145 Minories, hemp merchants. Ummm....I have to make some rope and stuff. A whole lot of rope and stuff! Dave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by protohistorian; 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM. Reason: forgot the pic

Comment

diminishing return

Here is an example of what I mean by diminishing return. This cap is plumbers row. Note the length of the street compared to the number of pd entries. Dave
              Attached Files

Comment

Recovery sites in pd

Crime scenes + 500 ft in all directions as represented in the pd. There is no m4 cap because it is not done yet. Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

one for Ally

Piecebrokers. As I understand it, firearms salesmen. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tabram + 500 ft

Like the others, only Tabram. Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

some social commentary

The sole entry I have uncovered for a Toy merchant. Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

The Septic Blue influence prevails....what's the point again? Do you really need to know where toy merchants were?

Comment

did you ever........

Get hungry for something very specific? Top left of cap is an "eel pie house". Specific enough? Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                            The Septic Blue influence prevails....what's the point again? Do you really need to know where toy merchants were?
                            No Scott, the point is not the location of the places, rather the dispersion and volume of the places. It is a fast and dirty form of demography.

I am relatively sure such a thing does not interest you, but some people would like an understanding of the environment not based on the stereotype that dominates the historiography. You stick to telling people what manner of clay existed in the setted dutfields yard and do not concern yourself with understanding the environment as it was. You clearly have no taste for it and the relative value to you is minimal. Dave

Comment

But it is somewhat valuable. I did the same sort of thing for Aldgate-High Street, but I was more specific. I don't see why you have to jump all over the East End with all of these varied occupations. Try to be more focused.

As for the clay in Dutfield's Yard, well it's that kaolinite group of clays so typical of Thames overbank flooding that make little balls when squished or rolled. It's paleogeography stuff, proto. Stride made a few with her bloodied hand that looked like grapes from a distance. It's that level of crap that needs to be analyzed here, not where toy merchants lived.
                              Last edited by Scott Nelson; 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Scott, surely as someone who notices whether or not something is on the correct thread or not you will appreciate that the title of this thread is Mr. Rippers Neighborhood, and not aldgate high street demography. The data set being assembled is to cover the area bounded by the crime scenes. I appreciate your attempt at guiding my research and intent, however, when you start a thread of your own, you will realize it should in some way reflect the concept that is discussed there. You do not start with a fully fleshed out thread and then pick the title. You can therefore understand that your help is far to little and far too late! Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X