X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booth key

The Booth shading key. Dave
    Attached Files
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• Thanks Dave---that actually helped me to locate it more exactly!
      Cheers Norma

Comment

• Hi Norma! Good, that is kind of the point. Dave

Comment

• Some of the crap people do is just timeless...

.... anyone who perceives the Late Victorian person as radically different might want to reconsider. Dave

Comment

• a Booth spitalfields

....and if you act now......Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

• 1888 Whitechapel burglary convictions according to the CCC

...on a lovely Booth background! Dates are now representative of crime date and not court appearance. The span of time after (guilty) in the label is the temporal segragation between crime and court. HL= hard labor. Dave
              Attached Files
              Last edited by protohistorian; 10-30-2010, 04:48 PM. Reason: xpeelinks

Comment

• methodolgy

That last image, and the ones that follow were derived at by searching both area (i.e. Whitechapel) and individual street names (i.e. dorset street). This attachment is the map used for getting street names. It has streets down to 11 feet wide. While there was undoubtedly crime in the smaller streets, It represents an exponential increase in work to find all the unnamed places and then search them. This is a firm dataset boundary. Dave
                Attached Files
                Last edited by protohistorian; 10-30-2010, 05:03 PM. Reason: xpeelinks

Comment

• The sole non robbery,non burglary Whitechapel conviction

It was for pick pocketing. This is 1888. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

• my new favorite thread

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Comment

• police efficacy

I bought the 1888 Dickens Dictionary and have plotted the fixed points in the hope they could shed some light on this mess. I do not expect that to be the case. The attached photo shows an 1888 fixed point in relation to a crime, detailed in the link. In short, the ripper would not have to be particularly brazen, or even lucky it seems. Dave

Attached Files

Comment

• links to the last image

That last post link did not work for me. Here are the links again. Yes folks it is all one event, sorting this out will take a while. Dave

Comment

• 1888 district fixed points

Just because it is a handy contextual item to know. These come from the 1888 Dicken's Dictionary, pp 100-107.These points may have played a part in so far as these were manned 9am to 1 am. Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

• 1888 fixed points on a lovely Booth backgound...ooooohhhh

....and now, the image. Dave
                            Attached Files

Comment

• before you go on..

Dave, before you go on plotting any more crimes on your map you might hold off for a bit. You are not the only obsessive Ripperologist out there! I have been working on cataloging crimes from the Old Bailey and newspaper reports of the area for going on 3 and half years. I have about 1600 crimes with 2000 criminals in a database that is chock full of addresses. Of course I have been tracking a wider area (see attachment) and a wider time period (1875-1895) but with particular focus on 1887-1891 (about half of the cases).

I won't go into any more details at this point (I have plans to release all of it in the near future) other than to say I will gladly give you a data dump in the next couple of days. I have about 300+ cases for 1888. However of these probably 80% have crime addresses available, and of that 80% probably half have EXACT crime addresses (the others just have the street name). And maybe half of those are in the area you have plotted. So I guess that would be about 50-75 records w/addresses I could provide you if you want. I only ask in return that you send me a large image of said map, preferably based on a map of the time period (such as the ordinance map of 1894).

And trust me I UNDERSTAND your frustration with the Old Bailey transcripts! I have probably spent half of my time trying to track down the addresses mentioned in a particular case. I could start an entire thread venting on my frustration working with the Old Bailey records but I digress...I would have contacted your earlier but I've on just caught up with this Casebook thread.
                              Attached Files
                              Jeff

Comment

• I surely will gladly plot those Pinkerton! I have no OS maps but I have the 1888 postal directory map. The more data the better! Send me a pm or an email. Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X