No announcement yet.

Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing at a time Norma. I know these maps do not add to our collective knowledge. My hope is, that people like me who have difficulty connecting the data mentally, will gain a workable understanding of whatever is displayed. This is also in part the reason I do not explain what I think a map means. I just study this stuff and I am not particularly bright anymore, so if I see enough relevance to display a map, a little thought on the viewers part will probably be able to see why. Advanced students will not benefit much from these maps, so be it. The more eyes on the subject, just like the more frames of reference, the better off the field is. I am not very good with words, I would need a co author. I also do not like the idea of charging for information regarding this subject. We have way to many of those people already. My interest is getting information out into the public domain in a free manner, so that others who study these events out of curiosity like myself, can evaluate or use them. Similarly, we have enough suspect focused investigators, I will try and provide context. Many great researchers have been in this field and we owe much to the efforts of men like Stewart Evans and Donald Rumbelow for having the data we do have. Since I am a provincial honyock, I will stick to the data I can gather and coallate here in Kansas. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• scatter brained boob

Because I am one if someone wants a map of something they should post a request. I cannot psychicly intuit what may be useful and it hardly seems fair that everyone should be subject to my whims.

Comment

• district totals

In a lovely speadsheet format....ohhhhhhh. Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Dave,
          This is helpful but it doesnt do your research full justice really.What would be brilliant is a virtual reality map where if you tap jewelers they spring up from where they are located on the map,if you tap barber shops ,the same thing happens in a different colour and if its "colour coded" then when they all get tapped up at once lovely patterns of colour emerge to create a mosaic map of Whitechapel! Ambitious but if you and Colin got together--------or is he not playing anymore here since he begun to insult us and say that we are just playing in the "kiddy pool"---cheek of it!

Comment

• It's a wonder how these good working people got through a single week without falling victim to all the gangs of muggers, pimps and thieves who made up the vast majority of the population. They must have been nervous wrecks.

If there were constant muggings in the area, the victims must have been mostly these local tradesmen, since we are assured that nobody of any means ever came in from outside, because the chances of them getting mugged there were apparently very high.

I say 'apparently' because I'm not sure how one assesses the chances of a certain type getting mugged in Whitechapel as 'very high', if one is claiming in the same breath that this type never set foot there. I'd have to assess the chances as zero in that case. The fear of getting mugged would be a different kettle of fish, but that doesn't always reflect reality and varies a lot from person to person.

The killer may have been anything from a huge fearless bruiser of a man down to one who only dared to confront weak females. But he was comfortable enough walking about alone at night in the heart of this supposed mugger's paradise, and to risk a lynching each time if anyone had suspected his purpose went far beyond mugging.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• I suspect the criminality has been overplayed. We have witnesses coming and going in the wee hours and not one says "I was afraid to go out and do "x" because of the neighborhood. I think in the wake of the murders the violence level has taken on a mythos of its own. This happens when each reteller of a tale adds just one more detail to the story he heard.

It is also worth noting that people are highly flexible. They can adapt to almost any environment. This is particularly true in cases where altering the environment is not optional. If this "rough" neighborhood is your home because it represents a step up from being hunted in your home country, whats a mugging?

I think part of the problem is also our modern conception is diametrically opposed to the historical ideal of Victorian society. District specific history is no different than person specific history in that it changes slowly and rarely does a situation present where one goes "thats it, this is too far!" History is a slow and subtle thing, like moods in a person. These totals are an 1888 reality in a context where there were many other realities. Cow keepers for example tend to cluster around dairies, and if you had a backyard and could care for a cow, it was extra money you could get. When the reality of your environment prevented from caring for the cow any longer, you did not move away, you just did not care for the cow anymore. Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                Thanks Dave,
                This is helpful but it doesnt do your research full justice really.What would be brilliant is a virtual reality map where if you tap jewelers they spring up from where they are located on the map,if you tap barber shops ,the same thing happens in a different colour and if its "colour coded" then when they all get tapped up at once lovely patterns of colour emerge to create a mosaic map of Whitechapel! Ambitious but if you and Colin got together--------or is he not playing anymore here since he begun to insult us and say that we are just playing in the "kiddy pool"---cheek of it!
                Hello Nats! There are over 900 plottings. If you post up what you want to see I will make a map for it, but transferring them to another map is out. Also, I was at the limitations of my maps in terms of where exactly Joe the oil salesman was located. My understanding is a goad like level of accuracy for the district is 1000 pounds. I cannot do this, I have college to pay for. Lastly, while the exercise has radically shaped my view of the district, most of the knowledge is not pertinent for chasing the ripper. Just request what you want and I will put it up here. If you can find a tech jockey with free time, I will of course supply data. I hope you liked it. Dave

Comment

• Jewelers. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

• events in context

Sometimes the events that occur in a place come to typify that place. I believe this is what has happened in the case of the Murder District. We cannot even say this place has been slandered by the targeting preference of a murderer. This place has been maligned as a function of a politically expedient grouping of a series of murders. Descent people lived in these neighborhoods. People who are unfairly maligned by the image of the Whitechapel as the den of the fiend murderer. It is fine to study these events, it is not fine to malign the character of this place and time in trying to fit these events into a dynamic where these events are less outrageous. These events are outrageous, the community of this place and that time is NOT! Dave

Comment

• That sounds like a great Introduction for your upcoming (hopefully) article. Remember to include me in the list of acknowledgments.

Comment

• Scott it is in examiner 4. How could I forget my buddy Scott? Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                          It is fine to study these events, it is not fine to malign the character of this place and time in trying to fit these events into a dynamic where these events are less outrageous. These events are outrageous, the community of this place and that time is NOT! Dave
                          Amen to that, Dave.

I suspect I'm not the only one growing more and more bemused by this mythical place we are asked to imagine, where no decent people could go about their business without being corrupted, robbed, beaten up, cut or stabbed, and where the ripper murders were only a rung or two up the vice ladder in terms of the daily round of brutal living and violent dying.

Glad to see it whenever reality fights back.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• I am afraid the problem is more acute than some grasp. If new students are coming to the study of these cases with grossly warped conceptions, then that initial enthusiasm has to be spent ridding oneself of the myth before earnest investigation can begin. It is a sad reality I observe that the people whining the most about no progress are the people who perpetuate the myth and contribute no empirical data. This paradigm must change if the field of study is to flourish. Fighting the myth is hampered by petty data hoarding, and jackasses who wrap a book around a paragraph of "new" material. Pirates behave in such ways, scholars do not. Dave

Comment

• a new dataset

I am creating a new dataset and it requires that I do extensive research using Old Bailey online. One result is I am exposed to a variety of crimes committed in Mr. Ripper's Neighborhood. Here is a little spot I shall call Dave's crime of the week. Dave

Last edited by protohistorian; 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM. Reason: xpelinks

Comment

• the images that follow

The images that follow are based on individual street searches on old bailey online. They are naturally cases that made it that far in the process. The attached image shows the map I used in determining streets to search. Dave
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X