Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
    And yes, I do know more about the case than just about everyone else posting here....
    Has anyone broken this news to Wescott?

Comment

• Oh little boots Nelson,once again you have shite totally wrong. You have done a far more effective job of demonstrating what context your little interruptions should be viewed in than I ever could. I have never professed to be anything other than a student of these events, whereas you cannot refrain from interrupting someones efforts to proclaim what an artist the ripper community has in you. You are a sad and pathetic little creature Mr. Nelson. Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• whitechapel pub distribution

This is reflective of the directory as whole in so far as the larger streets are differentially represented. Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

• whitechapel chandlers

The interesting thing is these tend to be away from the main drags. Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

• h division and the murder district

Their spatial relationship. Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

• some interesting math

I know, I did not want to believe such a thing possible either.

H division 6050900 m square divided by 16 ( number of fixed points)= 378181.25 meters square per officer
              versus
              murder district 623,900 meters square divided by 7= 89,128 meters square per officer

These are pre killing numbers and are just fixed point values for cops. Dave

Comment

• I should point out that area estimates are approximations and not exact. I should think the margin of error is in the 5% ballpark. There are a couple of reasons for this, 1. I am measuring areas manually (not with a program), and there is some complex geometry in some of these boundaries. If someone out there has google earth pro that can measure areas and is willing PM me and I will send the boundaries. Dave

Comment

• some scale for this subject

I have noticed a few of my fellow students are having some difficulty in maintaining proper perspective while studying these events. So in the interest of helping (because thats how I roll!)here is some basic Ripper math. When values were needed from the Ripper dataset,they were taken from the M5 victims.

Assuming 15 minutes per victim, we are studying 75 minutes of interaction between 2 people over a span of 102,240 minutes in a city of multiple millions. The events occurred in 62.39 hectares in a metropolitan area that covered in 1888 283 km square in 1888. That is all.

Dave

Comment

• police picture

I did not want to believe this was the state of the communities knowledge regarding police presence in the district. I have researched casebook three times, and made inquiries with other members with much more knowledge, and it appears this is the state of awareness. If you know something not on this map, please share. The small cop icons are fixed points named in the 1879 Dickens dictionary, the yellow lines are beat routes. The red outline is of course the murder district.

I submit that if we want to illuminate the mind of the killer, one way is to replicate the state of police presence, as this was an observable feature within the environment. In particular, it impacts our interpretation of the killers boldness in regards to crime location. Discovery by a civilian need not be a prime concern as the killer has a weapon, but discovery by a cop is another issue.

If you have additional information, please share it. It need not be about the district specifically because we need a larger picture in order to determine if the crime scenes represent areas of difference from non crime scenes. A discovery of this type would point to possible environmental awareness on the part of the killer,and thus indicate periods of ordered thought. Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Now that one (above) is good.

- Little Boots

Comment

• Wow, a lot of hate going on here. Scott Nelson is a little short in his speech, but does indeed know more about the Ripper case than most, myself included. It seems to me his words were misconstrued. Grave Maurice's above post cracked me up. LOL.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• weather averages

Historic averages for the city of London by month. Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                            It occurs to me that we have maps, census data,directory data, and expertise. If we as a community were so inclined we could reconstruct Mr. Ripper's neighborhood with a startling degree of accuracy and detail. Just a thought. Anyone have any responses? Dave
                            Well Dave, you are moving us into another sphere altogether here, regarding historical accuracy! The abundance of heterogeneous data is not always easy to collate in one"s mind though , but drawing as it does from maps of the period,census data,Post Office Directory information and other statistical data, that is unavoidable I imagine, in its present format.Perhaps you could write it all up in book form at some point,drawing together such a valuable tabulation of details into one collated documentation--- without losing the priceless "Bird"s Eye View" we get from the mapping technique you use?

Many Congratulations on your achievement so far,
                            Best Wishes,
                            Norma
                            Last edited by Natalie Severn; 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Norma, you are very kind. If we have as a goal knowing what actually happened, rather than what we think might have happened, we will have to move approaches at some point. I cannot say this one will work any better or even that it has not been tried (i.e. Septic Blue), but I am sure that ungrounded interpretations ( while amusing to read) are not going to move the community forward in understanding. Dave

Comment

• Yes Dave,agreed.Septic Blue did indeed post very similar material--- pity you can"t combine and work together on some way to collate the final format, fantastic work anyway,
                                Best,
                                Norma
                                Last edited by Natalie Severn; 09-11-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X