Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
    do you have a street you suspect them being on? Dave
    Hello Tom. No Buki or variant in the description on casebook. That is, none living off a thoroughfare of the ratcliff highway. The search is 80 percent over if you have a street for some of these others it could really help. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

The directory is not simply alphabetical. It appears to be laid out chiefly by street and business. The names of businesses or the streets of people are now the preferred mode of giving pointed requests. I apologize for my error in understanding. Dave
      I think you'll find there are several sections containing essentially the same information arranged in different ways - for example, a street directory arranged by address, a commercial directory arranged by surname (with a separate court directory for the higher classes) and a trades directory arranged by business type.

Unfortunately most ordinary people weren't listed in these directories, though - only those with their own businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I think you'll find there are several sections containing essentially the same information arranged in different ways - for example, a street directory arranged by address, a commercial directory arranged by surname (with a separate court directory for the higher classes) and a trades directory arranged by business type.

Unfortunately most ordinary people weren't listed in these directories, though - only those with their own businesses.
        hanks for the heads up. I still have not leafed through one completely. Their condition is better, but still fragile. Any suggestions could be useful. Dave

Comment

hanks for the heads up. I still have not leafed through one completely. Their condition is better, but still fragile. Any suggestions could be useful. Dave
          If it helps, you can browse through the 1882 and 1895 P. O. Directories of London on the following site, to see how they're arranged:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            If it helps, you can browse through the 1882 and 1895 P. O. Directories of London on the following site, to see how they're arranged:
            http://www.historicaldirectories.org/
            Thank You very much Sir! Dave

Comment

whitechapel inspectors

As listed in the 1888 directory. Dave
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                Oh, and possibly Alfred William Pearson.

Thanks again.
                Happen to have an address? Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                  Thanks Dave,

Wolf Levisohn 1888/1889
                  Severin Klosowski 1888/1889
                  [and later if possible]

Prince of Wales said to have had a flat near Fenchurch Street/Prince William Street?

Batty Street occupants re Tumblety

re Thomas Cutbush----any Tea Warehouse in the Minories?
                  check out entries 12, 13 and 14 under Aldgate. Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dave, just out of curiosity, is there anything listed for Windsor Street E1? Thanks.

p.s. Thanks very much for the Thames torso finds maps that you sent me, my email is playing up again at present so I can't email to say thanks.

Comment

for Nats

The heading says "Dunster court, but it was a subsection of the minories entry. I have looked on my bacon atlas, and I can find no such hole in the wall. Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

The heading says "Dunster court, but it was a subsection of the minories entry. I have looked on my bacon atlas, and I can find no such hole in the wall. Dave
                        This is off Mincing Lane, I think, not the Minories.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Hi Dave, here's a mini-list off the top of my head. Thanks!

Charles Grandy/Grand/Grande
                          Amelia Marie Pourquoi
                          Anyone named Buki
                          John Tyrell/Tysell
                          Everard or Edwin Smith
                          James Batchelor
                          J.H. Batchelor
                          Any Batchelor w/first initial 'J'
                          Israel Schwartz
                          N Benelius

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          Here is part of it, the scans came out fuzzy. Will keep on it. Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

As I am not so quick with the names of places, and in light of the directory not using the nomenclature E1, here is the only entry for "Windsor St. There is also a "Windsor court in Whitechapel. Dave (1888)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Chris was correct, I aplogize for the error. Here is the entirety of the minories entry. Dave
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                                Hello Dave,

The Victoria Home perhaps?

best wishes

Phil
                                I could find no entry for the Victoria home. Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X