No announcement yet.

1888/89 postal directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes,thanks Dave.I am looking forward to seeing more.....if that will be possible,
    Norma

Comment

I have not forgotten

Please bear with me. I only had a couple of hours with them today. I will go again tomorrow. There will be more. Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi Proto,

Thank you for going to so much trouble. I really appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

Simon
        No worries sir. I like to learn. I had this novel idea that the threads could be used for the exchange of information.Kooky huh? Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Hi Dave, here's a mini-list off the top of my head. Thanks!

Charles Grandy/Grand/Grande
          Amelia Marie Pourquoi
          Anyone named Buki
          John Tyrell/Tysell
          Everard or Edwin Smith
          James Batchelor
          J.H. Batchelor
          Any Batchelor w/first initial 'J'
          Israel Schwartz
          N Benelius

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          do you have a street you suspect them being on? Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
            Yes,thanks Dave.I am looking forward to seeing more.....if that will be possible,
            Norma
            I am still efforting your request but here is something to tide you over, the 188 listing for 35 cranbrook street. Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
              Thanks Dave,

Wolf Levisohn 1888/1889
              Severin Klosowski 1888/1889
              [and later if possible]

Prince of Wales said to have had a flat near Fenchurch Street/Prince William Street?

Batty Street occupants re Tumblety

re Thomas Cutbush----any Tea Warehouse in the Minories?
              Hello Nats, even my 1888 maps have no prince phillip street, do you have another cross street to get me in the nieghborhood? The proprieter of the Prince of Wales is listed as one George Scott. Unless of course it is the prince and princess of wales, in which case the proprieter is Walter John Crisp. Dave

Comment

caveat

Here is the 1888 disclaimer, part of the data set limitations expressed by the generators of the set. Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

my big mistake

The directory is not simply alphabetical. It appears to be laid out chiefly by street and business. The names of businesses or the streets of people are now the preferred mode of giving pointed requests. I apologize for my error in understanding. Dave

Comment

heads up

As you know I have pages of an 1888 atlas loaded into google earth. When I try to find some of these streets in the directory, they are not listed. Just a note for future researchers. So far,Artichoke hill, and George Yard both off the old ratcliff highway. Dave

Comment

re reference to Klosowski's address in Cranbrook Street.

Many thanks for these,Dave ,particularly the Cranbrook Street entry.
                      However,in the 1929 book by HL Adams entitled ,"The Trial of George Chapman" a reference to the street is made in the context of a small book having been found on his arrest in 1902 by Inspector Godley,in Chapman/Klosowski"s bedroom.It was written in Polish and the title,translated for court was," Five Hundred Prescriptions for Diseases and Complaints".
                      On the first page of this book was found the following entry:

S.Klosowski, 54 Cranbrook Street,Green Street

As you can see Dave the house number was 54 not 35.

I believe this was the very first address Klosowski stayed at when he arrived in the UK from Poland some time after the end of February 1887 and before he stayed at Mrs Radin"s for five months in 1888.
                      At present there is no way to prove this,but because it is just over a mile from the Docks and because there is no previous English address written in this Polish book,such as for example Mrs Radin"s ,and he is likely to have brought this book with him from Poland,I believe the address is of crucial significance.
                      Thanks again for all your help-re the other matter----I will look up the street system near King William Street which crosses Fenchurch Street to see if I can be more precise.

Norma

Comment

Hello Dave,

The Victoria Home perhaps?

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

No 54 cranbrook

Yes, we have no bananas. Apparently the residence of 54 cranbrook was unwilling or unable to pay the 5 schillings for an entry. There is no entry in 1888. Dave

Comment

Thats a pity Dave!But interesting by its omission perhaps.As you say it was probably because whoever lived there couldnt afford the entry.
                            Thanks for the info so far,
                            Norma

Comment

for those who believe Natalie's request was slighted

Here is the entry for one of our favorite places. Dorset Street, population 2 in 1888. Dave
                              Attached Files

Comment

Now you really are talking.......in riddles,Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X