The Twopenny hangover "sleeping over a rope"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    Sorry Ally I will do in future I am new to all this posting piccies!

The picture came from the internet I will post the site etc.
    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Ok it is from this site;

It says Jan 28 at on point but also has a caption saying 1930s. I would argue over the 1930s bit unless it is very early.

Comment

Hi yes,

The web administrator wrote me back and sent me the photo also and apparently it is from the Brooman german book. Quoted from the other thread I posted a page back:

i am looking at the picture at the moment.

it is in the Brooman book "Weimar Germany, Germany 1918-33" with the blue cover

on page 26 in the chapter entitled "germany and the great depression"

the caption reads "these men have paid to sleep 'on the line' in a warm room during the winter of 1930. the rope holds them up while they sleep"

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Ahh now I think I do have that book at work. On hols at the mo though.

Comment

Nice find!

Awesome! I've always wanted to see a picture of that after reading about it several years ago. Nice find!

I wonder if the "standing" method of sleeping against a rope was actually ever used? Despite that picture from the movie still I am leaning against it...

Couldn't resist...
            Jeff

Comment

Very nice find Kat. I think that should put the arguement to rest for most of us. As for the those that say maybe they are not sleeping or didnt pay to sleep ont he line well, what reason would they have in 1930 to take a picture of people pretending to sleep over a rope. it was the great depression and im sure they had more pressing things to think about than faking a picture. Logic....thats lLOGIC, look the word up if you dont know what it means, says the picture is authentic.

Pinkerton,
              I tried sleeping against a rope standing up. leaning forward, backward, sideways, arms hanging over, i could not find a position that would work. the main problem with any position is when you do fall asleep your leg muscles relax, your knees bend, and you fall to the floor, even with your arms hanging over the rope. you would have to be tied or otherwise secured to the rope in some fassion in order not to fall. so i would say sleeping over a rope while sitting possible and whith Kats picture obviousely happened, but doing it while standing up as depicted in the movie still is not.

Thank you to the people that took this topic and ran with it. Some great detective work.

Also thank you to those that gave condolences for my wife she is doing much better now.
              'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by smezenen View Post
                I tried sleeping against a rope standing up. leaning forward, backward, sideways, arms hanging over, i could not find a position that would work.
                "I floundered alone in the Indian Ocean, not able to speak a word of the language. I swam on my back, front, side and knees, but I just couldn't get off to sleep. Ten miles I swam - the last three were agony. They were over land!"

The Goon Show: 'Dishonoured (Again)'
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                X