This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi John,

I kind of miss it in a way. Can't believe I took them over 20 years ago. God I feel old.

Some more of Durward Street from about 1990

Click image for larger version

Name:	Durward Street board school c1990.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	652735

Name:	Durward Street c1990.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	652736

The remains of the Kearley & Tonge Warehouse can be seen on the left.

Name:	Durward Street from Vallance Road c1990.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	652737

Two of Essex Wharf from Winthrop Street. I used a cheap panoramic throwaway for these. It gave an aspect ratio of about 2:66.1, so these are cropped. They look grainy as the ASA was 200.

Name:	Essex Wharf from Winthrop Street 1 c1989.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	652738

Name:	Essex Wharf from Winthrop Street 2 c1989.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	652739

Winthrop Street again taken with the panoramic camera.

Name:	Winthrop Street c1989.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	652740

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
      I was simply showing them poses adopted for clothing catalogues.

PHILIP
      Philip,

Just putting heart, soul, bod, & forefinger into the performance. You look as though you enjoy your work tremendously. The customers will appreciate that instantly, I'm sure.

PHILIP, ROB, JOHN, MIKE, STEPHEN, MUSTY, ET AL, Superlative collection! Sincere thanks.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Rob, that last batch was better than the first!!

I remember you posting them ages ago, but the second one down of the board school (with the cars and people round it) I do not remember and I have to say, it has to be the most vivid I've ever seen.

It's like being there all over again. I guess I miss it a bit too. It was always different every time I went there.

JB

P.S. you know you're getting old when the cars in the photographs you once took look like they were used in The Sweeney
        Last edited by John Bennett; 02-28-2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
          [
          PHILIP, ROB, JOHN, MIKE, STEPHEN, MUSTY, ET AL Superlative collection! Sincere thanks.
          Thank-you Celesta

I'm sure I speak for the others when I say when I say 'We aim to please'.

John

Thanks for those moody black and whites. Imagine those streets teeming with people long before the British benefit culture kicked in, which is what I saw in the mid 1960s. The photographers there obviously braved the locale at irregular hours in order to do their stuff and get out in one piece. Having said that, while Spitalfields was extremely scary in those days, Wapping was absolutely TERRIFYING.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
            P.S. you know you're getting old when the cars in the photographs you once took look like they were used in The Sweeney
            "Shut-it"

Gunthorpe Street around 1990

Name:	Gunthorpe Street c1990.jpg
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	652742

Name:	Gunthorpe Street looking South c1990.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	652743

Name:	Gunthorpe Street looking North c1990.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	652744

Name:	Gunthorpe Street North East Corner 1 c1990.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	652745

Name:	Gunthorpe Street North East Corner 1a c1990.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	652746

Comment

• Robert Clack, I'm charging you with displaying indecently top-quality archive photographs... in colour.

Get yer trousers on, you're nicked.

Before you have an 'unfortunate accident' on the stairs leading down to the cells, can you explain the circular framing type thing on those Gunthorpe Street pics?
              Last edited by John Bennett; 02-28-2008, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Before you have an 'unfortunate accident' on the stairs leading down to the cells, can you explain the circular framing type thing on those Gunthorpe Street pics?
                Possibly taken through the abandoned tyre that keeps creeping along the Bucks Row/Durward Street shots??

The boarding school looks awsome back then, really atmospheric!!

Mike
                Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi John,

This might sound odd but I had an Olympus OM10 camera. And I only had a 50mm lens for it. I had a metal adapter ring which had a 50mm thread on one side and a 55mm thread on the other. I also had a macro lens (or something like that, but it was just a thin lens which screwed onto a normal camera lens. Anyway it was a 55mm thread so I combined the macro lens, adapter ring and 50mm lens. Which in effect gave me a 28(approx)mm lens, but the adapter ring caused the black circle.

Hope that's clear enough, it seems a bit long winded.

Rob

Comment

• Seriously NICKED mi son!!!!

Name:	picss1.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	652748

Name:	piccs2.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	652749
                    Just some pix of St Boltophs and the Gherkin and St Pauls in the background looking up Ludgate Hill up Fleet Street with a Hawksmoor wonder in the foreground!
                    The Board School looks brilliant Rob!...dear God you've got a good camera!!!!(Dead technical there).....my camera rules are .....a) find it and b) Press the button!
                    Last edited by Suzi; 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM.
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Burdett Road

There are six splendid photographs of turn-of-the-century Burdett Road in The Changing East End: Stepney, Bethnal Green & Poplar, 1860-1960, by Rosemary Taylor & Christopher Lloyd. Might be of interest.
                      Last edited by m_w_r; 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Superlative shots, Rob. The board school was just in a class of its own for atmosphere back then.

Those were the days, eh.
                        'My friend I thought they'd never end'.....
                        Trouble is I've got loads of stuff circa 1996-7 in the pre 'digi ' age from Durward St ,Hanbury St,'Millers Ct' and Mitre Sq but God knows where they are!!!!! MUST find em! Probably somewhere with the earliest Liverpool pics which are evading me as I type!!!!
                        Suz x
                        Last edited by Suzi; 02-28-2008, 01:01 AM.
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                          Thank-you Celesta

I'm sure I speak for the others when I say when I say 'We aim to please'.

John

Thanks for those moody black and whites. Imagine those streets teeming with people long before the British benefit culture kicked in, which is what I saw in the mid 1960s. The photographers there obviously braved the locale at irregular hours in order to do their stuff and get out in one piece. Having said that, while Spitalfields was extremely scary in those days, Wapping was absolutely TERRIFYING.

To our benefit, Stephen. Actually, some very nice ones are turning up. A link to Derelict London would go nicely on this site, but many of the pictures here are as well done, I think.
                          Last edited by Celesta; 02-29-2008, 09:57 PM.
                          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• I have some flashearth.com pics of the murder sites. Should I post those?
                            "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

• I would love to see them BillyE, I was in London recently and got a couple of pics of the sites myself.

Mike
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• Here's part of an old map I just bought. It's called the Gall and Inglis Map and Guide to London. Edwardian I think and it's huge, as the actress said to the bishop. Does anyone know what's going on with Thrawl Street?

Name:	map6.jpg
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	652756
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X