Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one that may require a bit of detective work.

It claims to be Black Lion Yard 'area' in 1972. There was a shop called 'Perchicks' on Old Montague Street, but I don't think it was at No.76. If it is Old Montague Street, I can't place it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackLionYardArea 1972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	656065

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Re: The two pictures of Aldgate 1883, I believe the second view shows the north side (the bicycle school is a south side view) The archway between William Harris' resturant (no. 19-20) and the tobacconist on the left (no. 13?) is the entrance to Crown Place, still visible in the 1908 view.
      As much as I'd like it to be a photo of the North side Scott, it is in fact a photo of the South side. The passage way between the buildings is the Saracens Head Yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cbAldgate 1862 South side western end.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	656066

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
      Here's one that may require a bit of detective work.

It claims to be Black Lion Yard 'area' in 1972. There was a shop called 'Perchicks' on Old Montague Street, but I don't think it was at No.76. If it is Old Montague Street, I can't place it.
      [ATTACH]4739[/ATTACH]

I can't help to much at the moment John but I can tell you it's not the enmtrance to Black Lion Yard from Old Montague Street. The first photo of Od ontague Street I posted above shows the entrance to Black Lion Yard (next to Johanns)

Rob

Comment

• Yeah, if it is Old Montague Street then it's not the entrance to BLY. No bollards for a start.

The mystery continues....

Comment

• victorian slum photos

Hi all

I'va already posted this link on another thread, but being new to the site I think it was the wrong one. The link takes you to almost a hundred pics of slum dwellings in Liverpool...very similar to those of the east end... including some excellent interior shots of courts (worse than you imagine) enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.

Thanks...carol x

Comment

• Link

Ooops, forgot the link

Comment

• Check this one out, guys.

There are some amazing Victorian 'court' photos.

But you can't save the pictures. Curses!

Many thanks Carol
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Carol,

Great link! What an excellent assemblage. Wish this was for London! People doing genealogy have to love this website.

Thank you.

Cel
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                  Great link! What an excellent assemblage.Wish this was for London!
                  Hi Celesta

Yes, indeed. I've seen loads of photos showing the North of England in Victorian times but nothing like this lot.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                    Check this one out, guys.

There are some amazing Victorian 'court' photos.

But you can't save the pictures. Curses!

Many thanks Carol
                    If you "Save As Web Page Complete" you can save them!
                    "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

• Surely?

Originally posted by The English Gardener View Post
                      If you "Save As Web Page Complete" you can save them!
                      Surely it's easier to right click on them and 'Save picture as'?
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                        Surely it's easier to right click on them and 'Save picture as'?
                        Quick off the mark this morning, Stewart! The author has protected them and they can't be right-clicked. And my words should be taken in a "you can" rather than "you should" context!
                        Last edited by The English Gardener; 03-01-2009, 12:40 PM.
                        "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

• Better

Originally posted by The English Gardener View Post
                          Quick off the mark this morning, Stewart! The author has protected them and they can't be right-clicked. And my words should be taken in a "you can" rather than "you should" context!
                          Yes, I see what you mean. I think that the main ones of interest are available from publlicly accessible sources and better quality images are obtained from the originals rather than from downloads 'lifted' from the 'net.
                          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Look at the photos from 1911 of the Chester Street court, with ground floor whitewashed buildings - and naturally with an arched entrance from the street! Gives us a great image of what Miller's Court would have looked like.

All the best
                            The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

• Looking at all these wonderful photos on that website, it strikes me how incredibly common it appears to have been to whitewash the ground floor. Does anyone know the real purpose of this?
                              After all, the lower section of the building would also have been the dirtiest one and therefore it strikes me as odd to whitewash that part since it would have been crappy looking rather quickly. Or was it a way to keep the damp from the surface of building?

All the best

Comment

• other interesting photos on that website are the squalid interiors and bedrooms. Not something we have seen that many of - mostly it is exteriors that has been the subject of photography.

All the best

Comment

Working...
                                X