• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a strange photo, Paddy.

What on earth is going on there?
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      This is my best guesstimate for the width of Church Passage. Jake would probably be better at it though.

[ATTACH]4617[/ATTACH]

Rob
      I aint saying a word..

Philip, you are right. I was out a tad. My aim was though, to point out the narrowness of the passage.

Cheers

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• I suspect Paddy's photo shows a Victorian attempt to build a particle accelerator to turn fecal matter into anti-matter.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• I've said it before, and I'm going to have to say it again people, "Great photo's".

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            What on earth is going on there?
            Hi Stephen,

I'm sure this image has been seen on this thread before, and I remember some discussion ensuing about the tall structure which the man is standing inside. Unfortunately I can't remember the outcome of the discussion: I seem to have taken away the mistaken impression that it was a beehive, which hardly goes very far towards explaining why there is a man standing inside it. I'm sure someone will enlighten us.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• It could be a massive Victorian old-lady-boot. The sort they put both feet into.

Just had a very long phone call from a woman born in Artillery Lane in the 60s who is going through family photos and is finding what she thinks is shots of the area in the 1920s and beyond. Watch this space.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• And that guy in the chimney thing has his arms around a cat in a white coat! Tell me he has!
                Going to post it on Forums on the Suzi individual forums thingy
                Last edited by Suzi; 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM.
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Looks more like a small child Suzi!

It looks like a very early "Human Cannon Ball", as used by Robert D'Onston Stephenson to fly over the London Hospital gates!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• He he a child with pointed black ears!!! (Verrrrry Rosemary's Baby!).... What's he doing there anyway????....and what is that thing he's up?

Comment

• A wooden phallic structure!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

• Are the Daily Mirror 1965 photographs of the murder sites old news?

www.mirrorpix.com and enter "Jack the Ripper" in the search box.

Richard

Comment

• Hmmmmmmmmm still like mi Forums idea! x

Comment

• Hmmmmmm First page-nice pics- shame they were taken in 'Whitechaple'!!!
                            Last edited by Suzi; 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• That photo is man with very small head gets it stuck in palings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                                It looks like a very early "Human Cannon Ball"
                                Hii Mike and all, sorry, here is the complete description:

Photograph: Back-to-back yards of workers' homes in Spitalfields - Producer: Galt, John - Date: 1900-1907
                                John Galt's photo of back-to-back yards of workers' homes shows how close to each other the labouring-class families lived. Nevertheless Galt has chosen to see the dwellings in an airy and open light, rather than focus on the dark and cramped aspects. There is a pigeon loft in the centre of the picture, and a missionary to the bottom right. Galt was a missionary with the London City Mission.

And it appears this same missionary appears in two more John Galt photos from the same era up at the Caledonia Cattle Yards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	misscal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	655972

Name:	misscal2.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	655973

Oh heckypoo, while I'm on a roll, lets just throw in the Lambeth Walk Paddy

Name:	lambeth-walk2.jpg
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	655974

Comment

Working...
                                X