This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
    Looks the ideal place to build a car park.

Are you sure it's 1964?

I thought that the south side of Duval/Dorset Street was still there then.
    Yep. That carpark was opened in April 1964 - the south side of Dorset/Duval St was demolished late 1963, I believe.

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
      Ah - he shares it now!
      I was feeling intrepid.

Comment

• Here's one of Artillery Passage, 1972. It's a detail from a larger photo, but it shows the White's Row Carpark still with the wall around it.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtilleryPassage1972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	655965

I have been of the assumption for a while now that the carpark was built 1970-2.

Comment

• Hi Rob - excellent photos! Very nice thanks for sharing - couple questions (as a photographer myself) - what camera/lens are you using? Is getting into the carpark opposite ChristChurch easy - i.e can you just walk in there or do they have guards/gate and you need to explain yourself?
          I will be doing this on my own as I have previously - is this not really recommended in the evening (especially with a £1000 camera...)?

Comment

• Hi Philip

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
            Observer - dare I point out that your Chamber Street photo doesn't show Swallow Gardens? It was a little off the right-hand edge.

PHILIP
            No problem Philip, as you say Swallow Gardens lies just off photograph to the right. i.e. the next arch to the right of Photo

Name:	chamber street swallow gardens irfan 1.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	655966

all the best

Observer
            Last edited by Observer; 02-17-2009, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
              Hi Rob - excellent photos! Very nice thanks for sharing - couple questions (as a photographer myself) - what camera/lens are you using? Is getting into the carpark opposite ChristChurch easy - i.e can you just walk in there or do they have guards/gate and you need to explain yourself?
              I will be doing this on my own as I have previously - is this not really recommended in the evening (especially with a £1000 camera...)?
              Hi Adam,

I've got a Fuji Finpix S9500 which has an excellent night setting on it. It has a built in 28mm to 300mm lens.

There's a staircase entrance to the carpark in Commercial Street which takes you to all floors. There's an exit at the Crispin Street end which takes you to the first floor and then you have to walk across the parking area to the exit in Whites Row and walk down a couple of flights. When I was there on Saturday none of the lights were on and the stair case was very dark. I've been in the car park several times and haven't been stopped by anyone and I haven't had any problems. The car park is suppose to have a reputation as a rough and dangerous place so it's best to be alert if you venture in.

Rob

Comment

• Rob, I'd concur with your line in Church Passage.

You know I've never actually been on the car park roof?

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Your missing a treat. I thought I could see the Durward Street Board School, but it's probably the school in Hanbury Street.

Rob

Comment

• this is the best thread on casebook. How would i get copies of the Petticoat Lane photo for my room? Could soomeone tell me where I might find Victorian film footage of the East End like they showed of the Dockland museum JTR exhibition

Thanks guys

Comment

• Hi, just to let people know the only example of a dosshouse in the area left, the one right next to White's Row is being knocked down. It was one of my favourite buildings - it looks incredibly spooky. Another part of East London history chipped away. Was outside it on Saturday and I couldn't believe it. I took a pebble as a memento of the place, at this moment a very angry/ psychotic security guard came out of a little hut on the grounds and nearly attacked me!! Charming!!

Comment

• Here are a few more photos

St James Passage Rippers escape route from Mitre Square?

Name:	st james irfan.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	655968

Commercial Road...note man on roof

Name:	man on roof C R irfan.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	655969

Mitre Square the murder site

Name:	Mitre Square site.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	655970

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Nice. I like the guy on the roof! Whats he doing up there? Oi, you, get off that roof!!

Comment

• Hi Pablito

Didn't see the man on the roof as I took the photo, he only became apparent to me when I scanned the photo to put it onto my computer.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• A rooftop view.

Trusted estate agent selling and letting property across London and South East. Over 30 branches. Book your free property valuation now.

Paddy

Comment

• Another rooftop view. Spitalfields 1900

Name:	spit1900.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	655971

Comment

Working...
                                X