This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Observer,

Difficult to say for certain, but Rob Clack mentioned on a previous thread that there's a good chance that it was. It could even be the same one (?).

Best regards,
    Ben

Comment

• Great pix! Thanks all!

So they didn't build along the street line when they redeveloped Dorset St? Or did they. It's hard to tell from what I can see. I have been there a couple of times but not for a while.

As for the Queen's Head, that might have been the fixture, or more likely, since the original would have been gaslight, it replaced that fixture. I also wonder if there would have been a gaslight over the entrance door. I think I've seen that on some Victorian pubs.

Comment

• Cooperative Wholesale Society on Leman St.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cooperative whole society.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	655557

Name:	janespendall.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	655558

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
          Cooperative Wholesale Society on Leman St.
          ...where a one-bedroom "Berkeley Apartment" can be bought for £485,000 and a "luxury" three-bedroom flat is a snip at £1,850,000. No wonder the economy is in such a god-awful mess.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Quite, Sam. At least it's not demolished.

Oak doors, Cannuco kitchens. You can view a video ad for this luxe place. Then ring the sales office

Paddy

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
              Quite, Sam. At least it's not demolished.
              True enough, Paddy. The problem is, we could have kept these flats "un-demolished" for 150K each or less, were it not for the unquenchable hedonism of the British housing market, fed by the obscenely inflated wages of the yuppie classes, witnessed over the past three decades.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• I think this is from about 1900.

It's Brick Lane looking south - Osborn Place is to the left and the barely distinguishable entrance to Flower and Dean Street is to the right.

Name:	bricklane.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	655559

Comment

• Hi John-
                  Sort of back from the Flu/grave here and that pic cheered me up!-
                  Printed it out and had a look- yep think around 1900 may be right- The kids- she of the hat and the others- Could they be dancing some sort of *Hey movement to a kid who's playing something that looks a tad like a 2D cardboard cat!! or failing that a small concertina (NOT a constant screamer!)

Suzi xx

Great pic though...Mr White coat walking past is interesting too....not reaching for his Smarties of course! (hehe)...Have a blue one and you'll be comfortable!

xx
                  * From my Morris days- A Hey is a sort of three person winding movement and it looks to me as if the three boys behind the 'musician' could be coming back up doing the same thing to make up the six -or waiting to do another three man Hey for some more coin (or Smarties!)
                  Just a thought.......

'I Can whistle I can play- I can dance the Shepherd's Hey'- Baaaaaaaaaa Humbug!!
                  Last edited by Suzi; 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM.
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    The Hanbury Street Shelter
                    All the World
                    1 May 1889
                    Hello Chris

I was just reading Peter Ackroyd`s book on the East End about this Sally Army refuge in Hanbury St. Completed in `89 it was converted from a derelict swimming pool. It was run by Captain Ward and his wife.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                      I think this is from about 1900. It's Brick Lane looking south - Osborn Place is to the left and the barely distinguishable entrance to Flower and Dean Street is to the right.
                      [ATTACH]4127[/ATTACH]
                      Is it just my fertile imagination joining up the dots, or is that lad on the right-hand kerb holding a model aircraft of some description?
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Jon, which Ackroyd book was that? The Biography of London?

Best regards,
                        Chava

Comment

• Just done a quick check on the Brick Lane photo I posted earlier. It's from 1907.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chava View Post
                            Jon, which Ackroyd book was that? The Biography of London?
                            Best regards,
                            Chava
                            Hi Chava

It`s Jack the Ripper and the East End.

Fully recomend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                              Hi Chava

It`s Jack the Ripper and the East End.

Fully recomend it.
                              Do you mean Four Centuries of the East End? By Alan Palmer with an introduction by Ackroyd?

Comment

• Hi again. The current Shoreditch building is not on the same foundations. It's slightly raised up, and is on top of patio-style flagstones.

Name:	23-mort 01.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	655560

This is a shot I took a couple of years back.

As for Dorset/Duval/service road, Colin Roberts would be your man here but Rob Clack almost certainly has something he's done workwise on map overlays to show you exactly what is where (or was where). From memory, the service road is even on a slightly different axis to Dorset Street, which was angled very slightly more to the south on the western side than the road is now. Remember also that Dorset Street was narrower than this service road. I think, roughly, the part of the multi-storey car park that juts out at the Commercial Street end is about the area of where the southern side of the road was (maybe the buildings were partway between that and where the main bulk of the car park runs now).

PHILIP
                                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X