Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That'll be the 'Whitechapel Mount', an earthwork adjacent to the site of the hospital which was cleared away in the second half of the 18th century.

It is commemorated in the names of East Mount Street and Mount Terrace.

Either that or it's the biggest horse dropping the East End has ever known.

Comment

• Correct, John, it's the Whitechapel Mount immediately to the west of the London Hospital, a gigantic rubbish dump started in the English Civil War in 1642 which was continually added to for over 250 years til it was taken down in 1807-08.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I had ancestors who lived in Mount Terrace - I wonder if they realised their street was named after a giant pile of crap?

Comment

• ^ Engraving : mental!

Observer, none are embosssed as such, sadly. There are lots of medicine bottles and other sorts. I've got a big intact Victorian green glass gin bottle from the East End here as well. And a lovely Victorian police lamp with a maker in Commercial Street stamped on it - you never know, do you?

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Here's Bethnal Green Road, just north of Spitalfields, in 1905 followed by one of my favourite old East End pics, originally posted by Chris Scott, of Florida Street which was and still is just north of Bethnal Green Road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bethnal 1905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	655526

Name:	florida street E2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	655527

Comment

• I like that one too, Stephen.
              Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
              And St Anne's Church?

Name:	stanne.jpg
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	655528
              Distinctive pyramid, originally planned to be put atop the tower

Name:	112371728_0c348c3584.jpg
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	655529

Comment

• Hello all--
                I'm a newly registered former lurker, and as I'm not quite bold enough yet to post elsewhere I wanted to say that I enjoy this thread immensely--I love all these old photos, and since I rarely go down to London the new ones are also a pleasure to see.

Cheers!
                --Honor

Comment

• Hi Honor and welcome

Yes, this is a very friendly thread. I visited Warrington for the first time on business last week. The taxi driver showed me Oliver Cromwell's fine old house and George Formby's grave but unfortunately I hadn't taken my camera with me.

Comment

• Welcome Honor - and yes - I agree - this is a wonderful thread.

Paddy,

Thanks for the photograph of St Annes, Limehouse. My ancestors lived in Church Row (close to the church), Agnes Street and Wallwood Street. They had an engineering works in Three Colt Street which existed from the 1850s until the 1960s.

Comment

• Thank you both for the welcome, gents--and Stephen, if you're ever about these parts again pop over to the Barley Mow in the town centre, it's a nice old pub if you're so inclined that way
                      Cheers!
                      --Honor

Comment

• Hi, here are a few more photos

Name:	Woods Buildings archway irfan.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	655540

Name:	Whites Row irfan.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	655541

Name:	Feildgate Street Synagogue irfan.jpg
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	655542

Woods Buildings

The few remaing old buildings in Whites Row

Feildgate street Synagogue

all the best

Observer
                        Last edited by Observer; 12-23-2008, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                          Woods Buildings

The few remaing old buildings in Whites Row

Feildgate street Synagogue

all the best

Observer
                          Just who is that mysterious man in a rain coat in Observers photos?!

Speaking of Whites Row, does anyone know in which parking bay the murder of Mary Kelly would approximately have taken place? I'm sure that's an oft asked question, but I would like to know!
                          Last edited by Cubitt; 12-24-2008, 12:22 AM. Reason: sppeling

Comment

• Hi Cubit, the man in the raincoat is a local to the area, who has a great knowledge of the East End and it's history. Here are some photos of the area that was once Dorset Street, I'm sure someone will inform us as to where Millers Court once stood, I have a good idea, but I'll leave it to the experts to inform us correctly.

all the best

Observer

Name:	Dorset street 1 irfan.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	655543

Name:	Dorset Street 2 irfan.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	655544

Name:	Dorset Street 3 irfan.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	655545

Comment

• Hi all.

Observer, there are other early buildings surviving in White's Row down the other end (18th century).

Cubitt, it's a total myth that Mary died in the area of the multi-storey car park, if that's what you mean.

If you look at the last photo from Observer above, look to the second white pillar from the left. Mary's head was where the kerb is now, in front of that pillar, and her body was lying roughly along that line, her feet being about near the right hand side of the broken kerbstone. Her head was facing away from us.

PHILIP
                              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Just noticed these very feline looking eyes observing the Observer?

Would the body have been at present day ground level or above? I know that as time progresses, newer buildings seem to be higher than older buildings that stood on the same spot.
                                Attached Files
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X