This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Andy,

Your right the first one is definitely a lot earlier than the second one. (Don't know what made me think they were). I'm pretty certain the second one is 1944 (if memory serves me right I think the bollards give an indication of at least 1940s) . I was snapping away and didn't photograph the backs as I was running low on batteries so some of the photos I had to rely on my memory.
    The different colour brick work might be due to the second one being painted. I think you can just tell in these close ups also the second one has some writing painted on the brick work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilkes Street 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	655424

Name:	Wilkes Street 02.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	655425

Hi Ade,

The stable block on the North side of the street is one of my favourite buildings in the area.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Clack; 12-04-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Hi Rob,

Yes I think the first photo is probably pre-1920. The second one appears to be 1940's or 1950's, which would be corroborated by the apparent bomb damage.

Comment

• Great Photos Rob,

Where exactly was Winthrop Place, Winthrop Street that you say used to be Nelson Court? Was this running parallel to Woods Buildings Alley?

Rob H

Comment

• Hi Rob,

That's right it's just next to Harrison Barber and Co. Horse Slaughterers. Between being called Nelson Court and Winthrop Place it was also known as Nelson Place.

Name:	Winthrop Street May 1899.jpg
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	655426

Rob

Comment

• And this is how it was when the photo was taken.

Name:	Winthrop Stree August 1956.jpg
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	655427

Rob

Comment

• Rob - I take it the Wilkes Street ones are of the northern end above the junction with Hanbury Street, now demolished and on the site of the Brewery area? I have some old postcards from the early 1900s sent to someone on Wilkes Street to a number no longer evident.

Did the northern end come down at the same time at the north side of Hanbury Street do you know?

Excellent finds, BTW.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hello Rob,

These are some fine old photos you've come across. Winthrop is not far from London Hospital, right?

Thanks for posting these.

Hi Ade,

Welcome to the CBook.

Best,

Cel
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Thanks Rob,

I think I have asked before but you dont have one of these Goad maps for Greenfield Street do you? I feel like a broken record, but these maps look realy great.

Rob H

Comment

• Originally posted by aspallek View Post
                    Hi Rob,

Yes I think the first photo is probably pre-1920. The second one appears to be 1940's or 1950's, which would be corroborated by the apparent bomb damage.
                    Andy, Rob,

If you note the bollard, its painted with its blackout markings of black and white stripes used during wartime (some still exisit with that paintwork in the area, Hooper St area if I remember correctly), so that photo was from any time around or after 1939.

Monty

PS Awesome Rob, as ever.

PPS Its just dawned on me...the bollard could have been painted post the building damage.....D'oh, I blame Christmas shopping. Sorry.
                    Last edited by Monty; 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM.
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• An awesome set of photos, Rob. You been busy.

The two pictures of Wilkes Street with the bombed building (with the stripy brickwork) shows No.4.

No.4 was built in 1723 by Jean (John) Rondeau who later became sexton of Christchurch Spitalfields. He was buried in the crypt. His decendent, Stanley Rondeau lives near me in North London and works as a volunteer at the church on Tuesdays. In the 1980s, they cleared the crypt and Stanley was able to handle his descendents bones! Spooky.

The house was indeed bombed in the war and was replaced by the current building with the 'Suskin' sign on it. It's opposite the entrance to Puma Court.

Once again, Rob, excellent finds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                        Hello Rob,

These are some fine old photos you've come across. Winthrop is not far from London Hospital, right?

Cel

Hi Cel,

Winthrop Street was the next street south off Durward Street (Eastern end) only a short section of it by the board school exists anymore.

All the best

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                          Thanks Rob,

I think I have asked before but you dont have one of these Goad maps for Greenfield Street do you? I feel like a broken record, but these maps look realy great.

Rob H
                          Hi Rob,

I only have a 1938 version of the Goads. There is a 1890 and 1899 version held at the British Library but they don't allow you to take photos of them and getting copies is a bit expensive. The best detailed out of the 1890 and 1899 versions is the 1899 one. The 1890 isn't as detailed and just shows basic details.

This is part of the 1938 one.

Name:	Greenfield Street 1938.jpg
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	655430

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            Rob - I take it the Wilkes Street ones are of the northern end above the junction with Hanbury Street, now demolished and on the site of the Brewery area? I have some old postcards from the early 1900s sent to someone on Wilkes Street to a number no longer evident.

Did the northern end come down at the same time at the north side of Hanbury Street do you know?

Excellent finds, BTW.

PHILIP
                            Hi Philip,

John beat me to it. On the second Wilkes Street photo. The building on the right which starts 'ME' is on the corner with Fournier Street and should say 'Medical Mission'

Rob

Comment

• I'm particularly interested in the Grey Eagle Street photograph - some of my ancestors, named Laskey, lived at No.35 in the 1860s or 70s. No.35 is the first house on the left in this photo.

Name:	Grey Eagle Street 1950s.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	655431

Actiully, while I'm name dropping, I found out that I have been teaching the nephew of Dennis and Sandra Esqulant, proprieters of the Golden Heart on Commercial Street. He's an Esqulant, too. And a wee bit naughty.

Comment

• Great pics Rob!

Love that 500cc Invalid carriage outside the Surgery!!!

Suz xx
                                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                                X