This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw this - taken in 1997 during restoration work on Christ Church...
    [ATTACH]3807[/ATTACH]
    Seriously WONDERFUL PIC John!!!!
    hehehehe!
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh it's the 'talcum powder line' that does it for me there Gareth!!!! xxxxxxxx
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Suzi, I'm just glad I'm not moving in.

John, Great picture. Different from the one I was thinking of, so it's got to be the right one. Like the exotics, too.

I swear the woman on the left in the middle looks like Betty Davis!

"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Here's a sorry sight.

The Fournier Street Synagogue in September 1975. I think this was just before it bacame the mosque, so it may have been 'between faiths', ie, vacant.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	FournierSynagogue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	655303

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Alan Mitre Square 123.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	655311Hi

Thanks to Chris Scott for introducing me to Irfan Viewer a free picture editing programme!

Here is an image taken last Monday 17th Nov. A friend points to the position where Kate Eddowes lay, there is no doubt a logical reason for the strange dark areas covering part of his face, and his coat but it is rather strange.

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Sandy Row Synagogue

Name:	sandy row.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	655312

Comment

• And the last one for now as it's late Wentworth Street looking East

Name:	Wentworth Street.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	655313

All the best

Observer

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	backchurch lane.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	655316Hi

Anyone help me with this view, think it's Backchurch Lane but not sure

all the best

Observer

Comment

• Hi Observer
                    Glad you got to grips with Irfan View:-)
                    Many thanks for the pics
                    Fraid I can't help identify the one above (very atmospheric!) But I'm sure some of those who are much more knowledgable on this will be able to help
                    Regards
                    Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                      ...think it's Backchurch Lane but not sure...
                      If I am not mistaken, it is Henriques Street, formerly Berner Street.

Mark

Comment

• Hi Observer. I'm afraid your friend is pointing in the wrong direction with the wrong hand at Mitre Square. If he'd done the same with his right hand he would have been correct.

Yes, I think that's Henriques Street, as Mark says. It's actually hard to tell with it being so shaded but it does still have setts in the road and that school sign suggests it's right. The building on your left was Harris's Tobacco Shop, where Louis Diemschutz noticed the time from its shop clock in the window as he came home at 1am.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• I don't know if this helps but below is the school lightened up
                          Chris
                          Attached Files

Comment

• As Mark has said it is indeed Henriques Street. The school on the right was built in 1903. And you can just about make out the gates just past it on the right where 40 Berner Street stood.

Name:	Henriques Street.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	655320

Rob

Comment

• I can;t believe ther eare 95 pages of this thread
                              It's going to take a long time to get through them... Meanwhile at the risk of teaching my grandparents to suck eggs, he3rewith a post I made earlier int he Druitt section which shoudl really go here, with a couple of additions:

There are a few collections of old photos of architecture and topography in London btw, the best two open to the public being the Guildhall Library collection, and for photos, the Conway Library, which is a huge photographic reference collection housed by the Courtauld Institute at Somerset House (doorway on the left as you go through the main entrance arch off The Strand). Anyone may walk into either and consult their files - or could ten years ago when I was last working in picture research; best ring now to check access.

There are also several collections of old London photos in all the big commercial photo libraries, esp of old news agencies which have mainly been bought up by eg the Getty Collection. Mary Evans Picture Library in Blackheath will also have a lot of old London photos, esp as they bought up Barnaby's Photo Library.

There are several more besides these two, inc Topham/Picturepoint in Edenbrige, Kent, which has plenty of old glass negs never even printed bought up form old agencies, and Associated Press - their glass neg archive used to be in a damp basement in Fleet St 1970s, not sure where it is now, nor that of the PA which was never easy to search as you didn't get access). Popperfoto was another once based in Fleet St, with plenty of 'old Lodnon' stuff, but it's now up north somewhere. The BAPLA site has a list of contact details etc for these and more

There was a private collector called Peter Jackson; he died a few years ago. His collection was almost as big as the Guildhall's - he wrote a number of books on London too. I'm not sure where his collection went after his death but the Guildhall curator is bound to know. I've got a final address for him but he was fairly recently married, and I doubt his wife who was foreign would have kept the house (Acton iirc), as he mainly bought it for its huge galleried studio, to house the collection

There was a photographer in Oxford at that period who recorded all the students for the colleges. They went bust a few years back iirc and their archive was transferred somewhere - possibly the town Museum, or more likely the University Archive? Someone in one of those will know where they are - mainly glass negs of course though individual Colleges tend to have copy prints in albums etc

The Illustrated News provides photos but they are very commercial, and tend only to copy from their old copies - Ive never been able to ascertain what they have int he way of original, unpublished stuff. There are bound copies in several libraries, of course, inc the London Library

The old GLC Library [Greater London Council] might also be a very fertile source - it's now been set up as a proper picture agency, but I can;t remember whether it's functioning on its own account or under the umbrella of a bigger agency, will try to locate it

The National Monuments Record is also a good source of topographical photos of London - they were in Savile Row but iirc they located a few years back to Swindon. They have all the Bedford Lemaire series. It's possible there are copies at Conway (sorry to be so vague, I've done no picture research for a few years now).

Some other sources are listed here and quite a few are extant, inc Aerofilms:

I see from this page on the same site that there are quite a few plates in this volume pub 1957 taken in the 1890s of Mile End and Spitalfields credited to the Warburg Institute:

It would be good to have a look a this book anyway - it sounds fascinating from the list of illustrations! Full list of volumes in the Survey Of London Series

To see the plates you have to go to the relevant chapter

and click on the plate number, then you get up eg:

and click on each image to enlarge. Happy hunting!

Most later pics (ie photos) in this volume seem to come from either the GLC archive or from the 'Bishopsgate Institute' - wonder whether that is extant, if not its archive may be in the Borough Library, or the Guildhall

Comment

• Hi

Yes thanks Chris, Irfan is just what I was looking in order to resize my pics

Thanks also to Mark, Philip, and Rob for identifying Henriques Street formely Berner Street, shoud have recognised it myself I took the bleedin thing.

I have quite a few fotos I took recently is there anywhere other than this thread where I could deposit them en bloc, dont want to hog this thread too much?

all the best

Observer

Comment

Working...
                                X