This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah well, back to the drawing board

Thanks for posting that Rob, I'm beginning to think that we've found our very own slum version of Brigadoon.

Hugs

Jane

xxxx
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

• Hi Rob & Stephen,

Thanks, guys.

Thanks for the diagram, Rob. Much better view. I had hopes for the area at first, but it doesn't fit thanks to that right hand jog. I wonder if there was an exit on the stable that opened off to the left.

Stephen maybe it's a court yard. Seriously, it makes more sense for it to be a yard, if that's stable. Thanks for setting me straight.

Best,

Cel

PS: Sam, you may be onto something there. There's also a "court" to the left of that one too, although I think that one is too long. Some sort of imposting structure is in the background, for sure.
      Last edited by Celesta; 11-18-2008, 03:10 AM.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• I guess that photo could be of any court in the East End from Wapping to Bethnal Green, Spitalfields to Mile End. Or beyond.

Shame it wasn't labelled in the book - I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Comment

• John, the joy is in the hunt.

PS: I didn't mean to be glib here. Just meant that it's fun to explore these things. Wherever those "courts" are, they are probably not far from #13 Miller's Ct. Just seeing these photos has rearranged---and corrected--- my mental images of the place where Mary Kelly died.
          Last edited by Celesta; 11-18-2008, 03:29 AM.
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hey guys-

Check out www.jamd.com/image/g/3134952

Rahn's Court 20/2/1886

Suz x
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Wow. Suzi that's a good picture. You can almost smell the sewage...

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                it's fun to explore these things
                Hi again Celesta

It is indeed. That's what most of us are here for, I would imagine.

If you look at the photo again you'll see two alleyways, one in front of the washing lines on the right, and the other just behind them on the left and I think these could well appear on the old maps as the sides of a cross shape.

Does anyone have a copy of that often reproduced 'court' picture with the large lady with the baleful look and black rimmed eyes in the bottom right hand corner?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EastEndCourt.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	655284

The star of the show here is the boy holding the containers in the foreground. I wonder what he was doing with them?
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The little boy was probably off to get his parents an ale! I have several contempory newspaper reports on children getting served in ale houses only to be found drunk!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Stephen,

Are you talking about the one with the woman standing in the doorway on the front right? She has what I think of a "tall" hair? She's wearing a light-colored shift. The lower half of the buildings are white-washed and the photo has been used as an example of what Miller's Ct was like? I have been looking for that for 3 days! When I'm not looking for it, I'm always stumbling over it. I thought it was in that book The Worst Street in London, but I don't have a copy of that.

I can see the side passages. A cross-shape ought to be noticeable. I'm going to go look at the OrdMap again.

Comment

• Hi Cel-
                      It is evocative isn't it in a rather mawkish way- Hmmmmmmmmmmm the open drain adds some colour too!

Suz x

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        I noticed this one in 'Our East End' by Piers Dudgeon.

Blimey, John

Piers Dudgeon?

Now that is what I call a NAME.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw this - taken in 1997 during restoration work on Christ Church...

Name:	ABEChristchurch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	655286

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

Does anyone have a copy of that often reproduced 'court' picture with the large lady with the baleful look and black rimmed eyes in the bottom right hand corner?
                            I think this is what you're after, Stephen. Providence Place, Stepney, I believe.

Name:	providence_place.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	655287

Comment

• Just printing that pic off -As to the pails- Hmmmmmmm They may be for milk I suppose as I reckon the pail for ale would have been a) larger and b) not as clean-kids were often sent off to grab/nick pennies through whatever means they could and maybe then deliver those pennies home to 'Mum' who would then disappear up to Ringers for and hour or so most of the time.

Next time we think we're broke- and think about the 'credit crunch !!!!!'- think again 'eh

Suz xx

Providence one fantastic John!

Could have been for water I guess and the jug for milk maybe- there's posh!
                              Last edited by Suzi; 11-19-2008, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                                I think this is what you're after, Stephen. Providence Place, Stepney, I believe.
                                [ATTACH]3808[/ATTACH]
                                ...that woman always reminds me of actress Amelia Bayntun, who played Mrs Fussey in Carry on Camping.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X