Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was just about to mention the 'Style example' in the barber's shop window- but Stephen beat me to it!!! (Do you remember those fetching b/w 'style' pics that no self respecting barber would never be without!...of course you do!- I reckon they were there obscuring the window so that no passers by could see the customers reply when the barber asked....'Anything for the weekend,Sir')
    Great pics Rob!!!!!!!! There's a book in this lot I swear it- maybe a coffee table job with self assembly instructions of where to screw the legs in hehe!!
    Seriously though Wonderful work!
    Suz xx
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Love that docks photo, Rob, but the piece de resistance has to be your Woodseer pic...like three completely different eras as you move from right to left. Glorious.
      best,

claire

Comment

• Hi all -
        Just been trawling and come up with this wonderful site-sure it's probably been posted before but it's quite haunting

Click image for larger version

Name:	daft1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	654666Just made me

(Is this J P de L outside the Aldgate Exchange????.......I may be wrong...........)

Name:	daft2.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	654667Oakum picking -London 1905

Name:	daft3.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	654668 Close up of above

(Could be The Busby Knitters of Olde London Towne Annual Convention though........)

Suz x
        Last edited by Suzi; 08-21-2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• From that site are these-allegedly from a Common Lodging House in Hanbury St- a tad 'romanticised' IMHO but interesting nonetheless..

Name:	daft4.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	654669 I love the way this one's entitled 'A straight talk to an applicant'!

Name:	daft5.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	654670

Suz x

DESPARATELY trying not to go down Caption St with those last two!!! (Get thee behind me Sam!!) (Oooh 'eh!)
          Last edited by Suzi; 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Hi Sam,

Thanks for confirming the location of Seven Dials, you have plugged a gap in my geography.

Strangely I had lunch just around the corner from there not so long ago!

Rgds
            John

Comment

• Thanks for the comments guys and gals.

Jeff, it's just a hobby to me (an enjoyable one).

Stephen, I think that barber was selling Head & Shoulders

Rob

Comment

• Non PC 'ish' but made me

Hey Rob-
                A great hobby though!
                Do you think that wonderful A.Cohen barbers shop pic was actually not an owners name plate, but actually just a description of the numbers of customers able to be seated at one time!!...'Form an orderly queue Gentlemen....NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!'...'Anything for the Sabbath mate?'

Ooooops

He he
                Suzi x
                He he looking back at that 'Straight talk' pic A...'Dont you even think of a jolly boater here madam...and you can tell the 'Scottish Widow' to go off and get her 4d'! hehe
                Last edited by Suzi; 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                  That severed head in the Ellen Street barbershop really 'makes' the window display...
                  ...that's what you get if you ask for a "Number minus-three".
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Just for you Suzi

Name:	Cat.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	654671

Rob X

Comment

• That is the Cat's A** Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzi xxxxxxxx

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        Hopefully he will re-post his magnificent then and now overlays that were lost in the server crash here.
                        I'd like to get some of them back up, Stephen, but I'm pressed for time at the moment.

The work that I may not be able to re-post is that of the "Cleveland Street" thread. I hope that it is on one of the Casebook DVD editions.

Originally posted by scala View Post
                        ... a shot of the current Middlesex Hospital / Noho Square development just off Oxford Street.

[ATTACH]3020[/ATTACH]
                        19 Cleveland Street, St. Marylebone was situated right about where the two white vans appear in the foreground of scala's photo.

BTW, I was but a wee lad when Charlie Cooke featured for the Blues. Remember; I'm not quite as grey as you, and I certainly wouldn't remind anyone of Jerry Garcia. My first time at the Bridge (I had to cross the Atlantic to get there) was thirty years ago, this week; by which time he had left Chelsea for L.A. Aztecs, I believe. One hard jock, though I understand !!!

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654679
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                          [ATTACH]3021[/ATTACH]
                          ...egad! Haunting echoes of the demolition of the north side of Dorset Street, there, Colin!
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• 'ello evryone...

Crikey,....months of catching up to do!!!!

Brilliant additions to this thread. I'm totally gobsmacked!

Stewart's "Pictorial News" etc. illustrations and many by Rob & Philip - especially the so far elusive 4 Mitre Street - first spring to mind (out from a very interesting set of additions in general).

Also, I didn't know that there was a "Lost London" with plates other than the frontispiece.

/jake

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake L View Post
                              ...especially the so far elusive 4 Mitre Street...
                              Someone noticed!

PHILIP
                              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• This 1903 film of 'Petticoat Lane' might have been seen here before but if so, here it is again for those who missed it......

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And here in 1926 and in colour!

Petticoat Lane, London (1926). Subscribe: http://bit.ly/subscribetotheBFIThis extract comes from Claude Friese-Greene's 'The Open Road' - originally filmed i...
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X