This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All,
    Thanks to Coral and Sam for their descriptions of Wiltons.
    I can remember it being featured on "London Tonight",when it's future looked uncertain,so it's comforting to know that all is well.Far too many of these buildings have been torn down in the name of progress.

Caz,
    Thanks for your description of your trip,sounds like a great evening was had by all.Actually,when I saw the interior,plus what was behind the scenes and in the roof area on the telly,I thought it might be past saving,and that the health and safety boys'd have a field trip if someone would want to open it.
    So it was obviously safer than I though.Perhaps it looked better after a "tidy up".
    Those pictures are really fab.As usual,I want to jump right through and explore the scenes.Wouldn't that be great.Mind you,there'd be no traffic noise,just horses hooves,that alone would probably spook the living daylights out of me.I would be most appreciative not to find any concrete or high rise flats littering the landscape.
    What talented ancestors you have.
    My dad had John Harrison the guy who invented longitude....and get this...one of the first Can-Can girls in Paris!!(I'm looking to find out more about her,but they all worked by nick-names,and I don't know what hers was).
    I was just thinking...if I remember correctly,they filmed the fagan's lair scenes from "Oliver" at a place called "Jacobs Island"...bet it's been pulled down now,but one of your pictures looks just like that.
    Anyway,thanks for the reply,and the pictures posted.
    Catch you later.
    ANNA.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
      Ok so it's not the East End, ...
      That's quite alright with me, Caz. Our 'focus' on the East End amounts to nothing less than tunnel vision.

Originally posted by caz View Post
      And one more for luck:

[ATTACH]2979[/ATTACH]

Combe & Co's Brewery (not sure of the location)
      Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
      Combe and Co was situated in Castle Street, Long Acre (near Covent Garden), although I don't think the street exists anymore.
      "... although I don't think the street exists anymore."

'course it does, John. It goes by the name "Shelton Street".

There was a discussion back in March, of
      Robert D’Onston Stephenson having allegedly lived in one of its common lodging houses, in 1888.

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
      29 Castle Street, St. Martin in the Fields was indeed a common lodging house. But, I’m afraid it is long gone.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	8-19-08   1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	654652
      2006 Google Earth Aerial / 1871 Large Scale OS Overlay

Name:	8-19-08   2.jpg
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	654653
      2006 Google Earth Aerial
      Red:
      Wood Yard Brewery (Combe), Castle Street, St. Martin in the Fields

The western portion looks as if it is still intact.

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654651
      Attached Files

Comment

• ......and for those of us who don't like heights...heeeeeeelp!!!!!!!

I was almost dizzy just looking at that last one.I'd be no good,hanging out of a helicopter with me camera,that's for sure.

Comment

• You really spoli us with these overhead shots and overlayed maps Colin, they are excellent!
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Caz-

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!!! Blimey!! someone lit a match!!.......good job they didn't have the audacity to light a ciggie!!!.Do you know they've had to cut that scene from Equus (FFS!).....allegedly for 'Health and Safety' (!) but secretly I reckon it's because they were worried about the audience rushing the stage!!! He he
            You know me when the 'Music Hall monster' takes over!!!..(If I 'ad a rope and pulley I'd enjoy the view more fully' ...and the bit about 'Put the donkey in the wash'ouse with some 'himitation 'orns and we're teachin' 'im to moo just like a cah'

Aaaagh I'm off on one now!!!

Suz xxx
            Last edited by Suzi; 08-20-2008, 11:51 AM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Hi Colin,

Thanks for the maps of Castle Street.

I have never really understood quite were Seven Dials stood, so looking at your map am I correct in asuming that Little St. Andrew Street is present day St. Martin's Lane?

Rgds
              John

Comment

• Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                I have never really understood quite were Seven Dials stood...
                I may be wrong, but I always thought Seven Dials derived its name from the seven roads that converge there...

Name:	7dials.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	654658
                so looking at your map am I correct in asuming that Little St. Andrew Street is present day St. Martin's Lane?
                That'd be Upper St Martin's Lane, John. ["Lower"] St Martin's Lane has borne that name for a long time, indeed Dickens mentions it once or twice in his novels.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  You really spoil us with these overhead shots and overlayed maps Colin, they are excellent!
                  Yes indeed, Mike

Colin is the MAN.

Hopefully he will re-post his magnificent then and now overlays that were lost in the server crash here.

p.s. Colin, I forgot to tell you earlier but my sister used to live right next door to Chelsea legend Charlie Cooke in New Malden, Surrey in the late 60s. Nice guy. My brother in law used to drive him to matches on Saturday afternoons.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Just been sorting out some photos and thought I'd post some of the interesting ones.

Dixie Street from Brady Street 1915

Name:	Dixie Street 1915 cb.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	654659

Ellen Street c1930, this was close to the junction with Berner Street

Name:	Ellen Street c1930 cb.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	654660

London Docks c1896

Name:	London Docks c1896 cb.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	654661

Newtons Rents, Twine Court in Stepney,1931. This photo was published in The Star newspaper and caused a bit of an outcry because of the conditions people were still living in. The buildings were demolished not long after.

Name:	Newtons RentsTwine Court 1931 cb .jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	654662

Jake might like this one, Upper East Smithfield, 1931

Name:	Upper East Smithfield 1931 cb.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	654663

And one I took a few weeks back, Woodseer Street

Name:	Woodseer Street 2 August 2008 cb.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	654664

Rob

Comment

• hi Rob

I've worked in and around photography all my life..did a degree at Wolverhampton..

If your taking photos like this perhaps you should consider an exhibision?

wonderful

Pirate

Comment

• Hi Rob,

Brilliant photo's,as usual.

I really enjoyed looking at them.

Thanks for posting them

Best Regards,

ANNA.

Comment

• Yes, many thanks Rob

The Stepney one has a real Millers Court feel to it and that severed head in the Ellen Street barbershop really 'makes' the window display don't you think?

Best wishes
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Love that sunburst!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

that severed head in the Ellen Street barbershop really 'makes' the window display don't you think?

I'm loving these photos too. Thank you, Rob.
                              Chief Superintendent Brownlow: "Are there any Tension Indicators? Over!"

DI Galloway: "Tension indicators?! They're throwing bloody petrol bombs. Sir."

Comment

• Hi all,
                                There's some smashing one's posted earlier by Caz too everyone,
                                that are worth a look.

I love that sunburst too!Well captured Rob!......takes me ages to find the little button to push,so I admire anyone who can take photo's like these.

ANNA,b

Comment

Working...
                                X